Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: low milk supplu & questions about Medela PIS advanced.

Default low milk supplu & questions about Medela PIS advanced.

Hi,

My son is 12 weeks old. I am back at work and pumping every 3 hours. I get only 1 ounce per session when I pump. I have been facing low milk supply problem since he was born, but when I feed him directly, I am sure I get more than one ounce. I use Medela Pump In style Advanced dual electic pump and even after pumping, I feel heavy and I can still extract milk from my breasts menually. I can feed the baby for atleast 10 minutes after I pump. I am afraid my milk supply will soon be close to nothing if I continue pumping during the day.

Can anyone share their experience/ tips about Medela PIS advanced? ALso, if anyone knows any better pump that I can buy, please let me know.

Thanks.
    sd

Default Re: low milk supplu & questions about Medela PIS advanced.

Hi SD,

I am in a similiar situation as you. One thing that I would highly recommend is nursing your little one on your lunch break. I have my son in a daycare that is less than a mile away from my office so I can do this.

In order to be able to pump enough milk for him, I pump one breast and nurse on the other every morning for our first feeding. Perhaps you can do that for your first evening feeding after work too.

I doubt getting a different brand of electric pump will help much. I have both the Purely Yours and the Pump in Style, and I get the same output from each. They feel the same. How long do you pump? Have you tried just manually expressing milk instead? Have you tried a manual pump?

Here's a link with pumping tips:

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/expressing.html

Jennifer
    Last edited by jentut; June 27th, 2006 at 11:19 AM.

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for your reply. I pump for about 15 minutes. However I can never tell whether I pumped everything out (last drop so to say) because when I take out the breast shield and put it back again, milk starts coming again for about 30 seconds and stops. I can repeatedly do this for a long time. I dont know when to stop pumping. I ultimately stop after some time. I have tried Avent Isis manual pump, but i need to practice enough with this pump.

-sdb

I have heard that you should continue to pump for two minutes after the last drop comes out. For me, this takes 20 minutes.

The other thing I thought may help is breast compressions while pumping.

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

I thought of something else. Maybe if you used a large or extra large flange it would help? If a woman has nipples the size of quarters then a large is the right size and half dollar size nipples warrant an extra large.

I think they sell the flanges at Babies R Us for 12.99