Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: worried about my meds and my milk

Unhappy worried about my meds and my milk

I am exclusively breastfeeding my son who is 3.5 weeks old.
    I have a vaginal yeast infection and my doctor prescribed a cream-
    Terconazole .04% which I insert with an applicator each night for 7 nights.

My OB/GYN said it is ok and knows I am breastfeeding, but the package says since it is unknown if the medication transfers to breastmilk, breastfeeding is not recommended.

I have used it for 2 nights and I am still breastfeeding but worried.

1) Any opinions

2) If anyone thinks I should stop feeding, ifI were to stop while using it for 7 days, how many days after I end the treatment should I wait to start ?

booohoooo this is making me sad

Default Re: worried about my meds and my milk

I don't have an answer for you but when I have a question like that my mom, who is a pedi nurse, always tells me to call Pharmacist. They had to study medicines and their reactions to things. I usually call 3 different ones.

Good luck

i agree check with your pharmacy or call your pedi. most pedis not what is safe and what's not. i had the same problem my baby is 4 wks and i had to take an antibiotic and medicine to contract my uterus b/c i had an infection in my endometrium. both labels said if you are breastfeeding to consult a doctor and my ob knew i was breastfeeding so i called my pedi and he looked up both and said they were fine.

I took that for a yeast infection, too, and NP knew I was bfing. Here's a link to an article by Dr. Hale, whose book, Medications and Mother's Milk is probably the best source. If you want to know about the medication you are taking, your local LLLeader probably has a copy and could read you that section. http://www.llli.org/ba/Nov04.html Basically, the insert probably says that solely for liability reasons.

Thank you ladies. Pedi said it is fine. I was worried because my pedi and ob/gyn often disagree