Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to Give Solids Before Nursing..

Default Re: When to Give Solids Before Nursing..

Quote Originally Posted by AllieM View Post
    I did read that you should wait 20 minutes after nursing so that the iron is absorbed from the bm but I can't even remember where I read that.
    I'm still not feeding DS solids so I really don’t have any advise. I'm just trying to learn and watching your thread. I didn't realise that solids would INTERFERE with iron absorption from BM. I thought the whole purpose of introducing solids was to complement the iron

After a year I started doing this, especially with lunch and dinner. However, when I get home from work some days he asks to nurse ASAP. I cannot deny him as it helps us reconnect after being apart all day, and it doesn't seem to interfere with his intake at dinner. In the morning though he gets booby first thing because mama is too lazy to make breakfast so early
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    DS nursed at about 6:15 am. Around 7:15 he was pointing at the kitchen. I asked if he was hungry and he said yes. So I made bowls of cheerios for both of us. DS ate maybe 3 spoonfulls of cheerios and then said he was done. And then at 7:30 he said he wanted to nurse.
    That's cute. He just wanted a little variety.

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    When my supply started decreasing, as a result of the pregnancy. Its not really "necessary" so go with your gut!

Its also possible to just follow their cue. After a time, Haylee was hungry after an hour or so of nursing. Sometimes she just wanted "real" food, kwim? She was old enough at that point to tell me what she wanted.
    This is what I've been doing. We nurse the minute I walk in the door, then make dinner, eat and then nurse before bed. Just wondering if I should try to reverse it a little, but my gut's telling me we'll both know when that's necessary. Thanks Erin.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb's mommy View Post
    After a year I started doing this, especially with lunch and dinner. However, when I get home from work some days he asks to nurse ASAP. I cannot deny him as it helps us reconnect after being apart all day, and it doesn't seem to interfere with his intake at dinner. In the morning though he gets booby first thing because mama is too lazy to make breakfast so early
    Also, on the weekends I'm super lazy about solids...

I was home today and got a chance to see her morning routine w/our DCP and she had chicken and apple sausage, oatmeal, toast and some water for breakfast (K-sized portions, which is not much), much more than my lazy butt does on a Saturday.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!