Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing game?

Default nursing game?

My 15m-old has been nursing differently for the last week or so. She eats on one side for 20 seconds to a few minutes, then switches, then repeats the process on the other side, then switches again. This goes on for 5-20 minutes. She lets me know that she wants to eat on the other side with signing, which is great. I just am wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Is it a game or something to do with milk supply?
    Thanks!

Default Re: nursing game?

well my DS plays a diff nursing game sometimes LOL he sucks for a sec, turns away, repeats a good half dozen times before actually staying latched on for a good nurse or just stopping LOL so I dunno hehe
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

My son started doing this kind of thing around the same age. If he wasn't switching back and forth every minute or two, then he was fiddling with one nipple while nursing on the other. He also, at around this age, developed a strong preference for one breast. Oh, and he also became much more finicky about every last detail of positioning, who held the breast, where we sat, etc. etc. He just plain got bossy about nursing!

--Rebecca

My dd started the nursing game around 15 months as well: sip a little, then check the other side, sip a little there, go back, nurse for a couple of minutes, sample the other side again, etc. All the while, her hands are busy playing with the other breast: pull the nipple, squeeze, push, stroke - sometimes it doesn't feel so good and I have to intervene, which of course amuses her to no end. Gotta love those little monkeys !!!