Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No milk after ovulation

Default No milk after ovulation

I have successfully breastfed my daughter for almost 9 months. My milk supply dramatically decreased all of the sudden two days ago (from 5 ounces per pumping session to just a few drops). I have tried nursing my baby more often, but she is only eating for about 30 seconds before the milk is gone, which clearly is not enough. And now today I got my first period after being pregnant. Has anybody experienced this before? Will it increase again? Is there anything I can do to get my supply back to normal? I really want to continue breastfeeding her and this is stressing me out. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    Tina

Default Re: No milk after ovulation

Tina,
    I'm currently going through a similar thing. My supply seems to drop every month about a week before my period starts. The good news is that it comes back just fine a few days into my period. In the meantime, the babies nurse a lot more at night. It kind of stinks because I get really tired with PMS.
    I just logged on to post the same kind of question. How can we keep/increase supply during a hormonal dip? I'm hoping someone will come along with some input.
    Like I said, though, you should be fine in a few days. Get extra rest if it is possible. Let her nurse whenever she wants, drink plenty of fluids and keep up your calories.
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

I have heard that a calcium supplement can help, although I have yet to try this. HTH. I am just now running in to this issue as well with 8mth dd.

I'm finding not only the same thing, but that DD (nearly 10 mo) doesn't seem to LIKE the milk just before or during AF. She sort of went "on strike" last time until my period was nearly done. My supply seems to be back this week, though.

We have been dealing w/ this for a couple of months now (includin the last few days! I just NURSE LOTS, drink lots of water, and try to pump aloy (at least 3 times a day after feeding. For me, it was the worst the first time, about 5 days of low supply and it really stressed me out! but then last month, it was only for 1-2 days. this times . . . 2 days so far . . . we;ll see! but take heart, it does get better! i was in tears the first time . . .my supply was pretty much nothing. and my pedi told me it may not come back what iearned? pedis r somtimes clueless! THe first time, I had to supplement formula for the first time (well I tried but he wouldnt take it!) so that stressed me out even more! After that, i just be sure , to keep lots of frozen milk on hand to help out. But even then I only supplement here and there, like at night . . .bc I want to encourage him to nurse as much as he will to get my supply back as fast as possible But it helps me not be so stressed when I have frozen milk for when he is really hungry and I just don't have anything to offer kwim? HTH! But, it will get better and just nurse lots, pump if you can, adn try not to stress!

Thanks for the tips, here's hoping.... I've had my cycle back for 6 months now. The supply always comes back up afterwards, it's just a miserable several days. This month, I'm doing the calcium as suggested, added fenugreek for fun, because who doesn't love to smell like maple syrup, drinking lots, eating plenty, and TRYING to rest! I might add in the pumping as suggested, but the kiddos won't take bottles. I guess if I get anything, I can add it to their food.
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

I had a big supply dip during my first pp cycle, so i pumped more than usual, trying to get more to feed ds while i was at work, i actually had to give some formula, but after when supply came back, i felt like i had oversupply, so i am pumping it and freezing it for next time