Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ducts not leading to nipple???

Default ducts not leading to nipple???

I'm posting this for a friend of mine. She has a problem in one of her breasts where some of the ducts do not connect to the nipple and it causes pooling of milk. She's now had it drained twice (she ended up with a 2 inch lump...no, it's not a clogged duct). Her doctor is taking it week by week with her, but feels she may have to quit BFing sooner rather than later. Her DD is only 5 weeks old.

Has anyone ever heard of this and know of any options to treat or help?

Also if she were to just BF on one side, would the milk completely dry up so that she could nurse on the non-affected side? Again, she's looking for options.

She really, really wants to nurse as long as she can.

TIA.

ETA: She's seen LCs...they referred her to her doctor.

Default Re: ducts not leading to nipple???

Hi mama. To answer the question you had, she doesn't need to fully wean off breastfeeding in order to have the problematic breast stop producing milk. She just needs to gradually remove less and less milk from that side. Milk is made by demand, so if the demand decreases so too shall the milk. Many women successfully breastfeed with one side only.

I am interested in what you meant by saying the ducts weren't connected. It is fairly common to get blocked ducts that led to mastitis (breast infection). Could you share more information about this? What sort of credentials did the LC have? International board certified lactation Consultant? have you called your local LLL leader for support?

From what I understand, this is not a clogged duct. Some of the actual milk ducts do not lead to the nipple...so they make milk, but there is no way for it to escape. I think it's an unusual circumstance. She has to have it drained with a needle weekly right now. So far, it has not led to mastitis, but infection is definitely a concern. The LCs she saw referred her to her doctor. The LCs she saw basically told her that it was a medical issue that was out of their scope of practice. I think she is planning on consulting another group of LCs just in case they have ideas.

Thanks again for any ideas or insights.

I, too have the same thing but mine does have a hole and it is on my areola so that my son still gets the milk when he drinks. Never have heard of it though when there is no hole for it to come out and it has to be drained. Sorry wish I had more help for her.