Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Really scared! I'm a newbie!

Default Re: Really scared! I'm a newbie!

I went again today to feed him. I got pretty discouraged though. He would latch fine and then still had problems sucking. We tried for 30 minutes with barely any success. I even tried pumping first to get it going. Another depressing thing is that I am now not pumping enough (because he eats so much) I pump about (or a little less than) 1 oz per breast per session. He eats at least 2 oz every 3 hours. They have already run through my entire back up supply. I NEED HELP!!!

Hi, mama....Have you tried your local LLL leader? You don't have to be a member to call her, and she is trained to provide you some help. If she can't help, she will have the proper information on referring you to a more-qualified LC.

Keep trying!

Oh gosh girl ... I just happen to come back today to check out this thread and I am so sorry to hear that it didn't go well. My best advice is to please be as patient as you can. It took my LO 4 weeks to get off that bottle. He even needed some formula during that time. It definitely did not happen overnight. And there were LOTS of tears. It was so frustrating. But, he will get stronger and stronger as each day passes. I wish I could reach through my computer to give you some because I know what you are going through. Just try to do one day at a time...that is what I had to do. Believe me, it was the longest 4 weeks ever!

As far as pumping...make sure you pump every two hours. You can do it mama. Lots of hugs coming your way.
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

I'm going back tonight. Even though I have to work I'm taking a long lunch and not letting someone that small intimidate me . I am also as of right now increasing my pumps. Fortunately I have a pro BFing boss (and it's a guy!!!) so I can take breaks to pump every 2 hours. I have a really hard time pumping through the night as the process takes SO long (get up, set up pump, get bottles, pump, clean bottles, put up milk, put up pump) but during the day I will try to pump more (as opposed to every 3 hours). There is a LC at the hospital but she just said "great job for a first timer" and had no real advice about what to do. My mom knows of another LC though so I'm going to practically drag her around for the first little bit. I will also call a LLL leader and the first meeting I can go to is this coming Monday. I was hoping my LO would be out by then so that I could bring him with me and get some pointers but I will have to wait until the next month.

Good Luck and keep up the good work mom....
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

You CAN do this!!!!!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

Hang in there!
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

You guys make me smile Which is why I'm so glad I found this. I would have been a MESS.

So I went to the hospital tonight on my lunch break. I stripped the baby down to his diaper (he was after this point wide awake) and put him right up next to me in the football hold. He would latch on, suck a couple of times, and stop. I was frustrated for about 15 minutes until a young nurse (not much older than I am) came in. They had no LC at the hospital at that time and the nurse had heard that I was having trouble and came in to help. She has NO special qualifications in BFing but she is currently BFing her 13 month old son who was once a preemie. She helped Hayden and I to relax until he got a good latch and got the hang of sucking. He nursed on the left side for 20 minutes. When I switched him to the right he got frustrated because he once again had to work to get the milk to flow. He only nursed for about 5 minutes on that side. However, WE DID IT!!!!!!!!

so glad you had one satisfying session! As your, and his, confidence grows you will both relax into it and before you know it youll be feeding on the bus.
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.