Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Really scared! I'm a newbie!

Default Really scared! I'm a newbie!

My baby is coming home next Wednesday. He's been in the NICU for 6 weeks so far. He can latch just fine and will do several sucks when he first latches on, but then he pulls off the breast and cries. He was tube fed and bottle fed until just recently. I had hepatitis E and they were afraid for him to get my milk. Armed with some knowledge I gained here (thanks guys ) I am now allowed to breastfeed. However, I can't get him to suck enough that they'll allow me to exclusively do so. I know it's because of nipple confusion but I need some tips to help with his transition!

Default Re: Really scared! I'm a newbie!

First of all, YAY for your baby coming home!!! That's fabulous news! Second, GOOD FOR YOU for letting those nurses know who's boss and researching what's best for YOUR baby!! It does sound like nipple confusion like he is getting frustrated because it is not coming out as quickly as it does in the bottle. A few suggestions, try gently massaging your breasts a few minutes before latching and applying warm compresses. This should help the milk begin to flow. Also, while he is latched, you may what to do some hand expression to give him an extra "jolt" of milk. Good luck and keep us posted!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I would definitely hire a lactation consultant. It's so worth the money. Consult with your local LLL - they'll have someone good for you. Maybe she'll recommend a nipple shield?

Best of luck and congratulations!

My twins were in the NICU for 2 weeks and I was eager to BF. The day before discharge I asked a nurse how I was going to transition from bottles of EBM to BF and I was told something like "you will figure it out when you get home"! In hindsight, I wish I would have been more insistent on the babies only receiving breastmilk straight from the source in the hospital and working with the LCs in the NICU. I ended up nursing, bottlefeeding EBM, and then pumping on a 3 hour schedule (the routine took 1-1 1/2 hours) for 10 weeks. Then I went cold turkey and now they only get bottles when I am at work. I found that when nursing and then offering a bottle, I was always disappointed when I felt the baby received a lot of milk at the breast and then guzzled down bottled milk and felt this was a reflection of how little they must have been actually getting at the breast (hope you follow me here!) But I don't think the amount they were "topped off" with had anything to do with how much they drank at the breast. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by sulomommy View Post
    My twins were in the NICU for 2 weeks and I was eager to BF. The day before discharge I asked a nurse how I was going to transition from bottles of EBM to BF and I was told something like "you will figure it out when you get home"! In hindsight, I wish I would have been more insistent on the babies only receiving breastmilk straight from the source in the hospital and working with the LCs in the NICU. I ended up nursing, bottlefeeding EBM, and then pumping on a 3 hour schedule (the routine took 1-1 1/2 hours) for 10 weeks. Then I went cold turkey and now they only get bottles when I am at work. I found that when nursing and then offering a bottle, I was always disappointed when I felt the baby received a lot of milk at the breast and then guzzled down bottled milk and felt this was a reflection of how little they must have been actually getting at the breast (hope you follow me here!) But I don't think the amount they were "topped off" with had anything to do with how much they drank at the breast. Hope this helps.
    Your twins are adorable!!

Awwwww... YAY MAMA and BABY!! I have a NICU graduate myself! As is common in the NICU, he was also trained on a bottle. I felt this was important because they REALLY needed to monitor exactly how much he was getting because he was very, very sick. I didn't object really...After all, it was still BM and I wanted to do what was best for him. He was getting it through a tube for about 8 or 9 days and then he was finally able to try the bottle. At the same time, we tried to introduce the breast. It was a very slow process for him because he was recovering from major trauma. In the first week, he would BF for maybe 5 minutes total. I also have a toddler at home so I was only able to visit for one or two feedings a day. Needless to say, he did get much practice on the breast. The nurses were all very supportive of Bfding. They suggested I gradually wean by taking away a bottle feeding each day. Well, that was a little too fast for my guy. I ALWAYS offered the breast first and let him take it for as long as he wanted. Then, I finished with a bottle. I was ALWAYS pumping to help my supply. This was a TON of work in the beginning but it was sooooo worth it. After 4 long weeks, I got him off of the bottles completely.

Don't worry...he will be able to transition. Just be patient with him because he has already been through a lot! Each few days, you will start to notice more and more breastfeeding. You might want to even try to have a day where you just BF all day. Just you and him....in bed all day. Offer the breast as often as possible. From what I've read, that can work wonders.

GOOD LUCK! And congrats!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

Thank you all so much! I am going to spend the first day he's home just at home with him cuddling in bed and nursing. And I'm going to try to gradually wean him off of the bottles. I love the support I get here. Prior to googling breast feeding I was so clueless. I just knew I wanted to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by piratetink824 View Post
    Thank you all so much! I am going to spend the first day he's home just at home with him cuddling in bed and nursing. And I'm going to try to gradually wean him off of the bottles. I love the support I get here. Prior to googling breast feeding I was so clueless. I just knew I wanted to do it.
    Good idea girl! He will get it ... just give him lots of love and encouragement. And don't stress! He will know it. Just enjoy him. You FINALLY get him all to yourself. I know exactly how you feel. And guess what? Now my little man is smiling back at me. It is AMAZING.
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

friend.

Do you still give him a bottle at all? Because when I go back to work he'll have to have a bottle part of the time. I just don't want more confusion. The LC says he has a GREAT latch. The first time I nursed him she couldn't believe it was his first time. He's just a lazy nurser . His personality is very laid back and I think this contributes as well.

He gets a bottle when I am out. We tried a TON of nipples. He also had a tongue-tie which didn't help. If you've already found a nipple that he likes...stick with it. But, make sure that you ALWAYS give the slowest flow. That way, he won't like that nipple too much! You want him to work for it. And if he is lazy, then you don't want him to start choosing that bottle over you. If you can go a few weeks without a bottle...that would be best probably.

Don't forget to keep us posted on your progress!
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

friend.