Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for guidance

Default Re: looking for guidance

You're not at all pushy! I know i need to drink more water than i do, i've always had a problem with that. I've dehydrated myself more than once, i just don't get that thirsty...and yeah, i eat more oatmeal than i'd care too! i've heard people on here talk about goats rue, etc, do you have any experience with these?

I am currently using Goat's Rue and not seeing a big improvement yet. But it's only been a few days. Maybe I need a stronger dose. Fenugreek didn't do much for me other than make me smell like syrup.

I forgot - this video taught me how to do the manual expression:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html

I wasn't able to view the video for some reason, but thank you anyway...how are things going for You?

WTG on that awesome ounce! Wine does increase milk supply! It is the beta glucans. These are also found in barley and oatmeal.

Pump for five minutes after you see the last drop. And don't worry if you see nothing in a pumping. This does not mean you are wasting your time, it means you are telling your body, "more, please." I have pumped plenty of times to get nothing, but the stimulation. The more often you pump, the better. If you can pump for five minutes here and five minutes there, all the better. The more frequent the better. Think about a baby's growth spurts. When they need more milk, they nurse constantly all day long. That is what you are trying to tell your body. Make more, make LOTS more

As the pp said, hand expressing after pumping does further empty the breast.
    Last edited by relactatingmomforthelord; January 30th, 2008 at 03:43 PM.

Thank you so much for taking an interest! I think I read that you are using goat's rue? how is that working for you? I just ordered some at our health store...

Everyone is tired of hearing me say it I'm sure but oatmeal worked wonders for me. I had it daily, breakfast and dinner (one of my dinners) Also power pumping helped to jump start my supply when it was very low. Pump for ten mins then stop for ten, then pump for ten then stop for ten then pump for ten. One of the ladies on this forum told me about this and it is very good at quickly increasing your supply as it mimicks a growth spurt. Good luck and it can be done esp. as your lo is so young. Keep up the good work.

Also, make sure there is no deodorant or lotion or perfume on your nipples, sometimes that will turn your lo off, not necessarily the act of nursing.

I have done a variety of things including the goats rue. I also took domperidone, which helped tremendously. I think I saw the most dramatic leap when I added the flaxseed oil and the barley water.

Thank you so much! I'm going to try the barley water today (hopefully). It's been raining here a lot lately, I hate to take LO out in such weather, but today it looks like it's going to be pretty nice...I love california!

Haven't heard from you in a few days. How's it going?