Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for guidance

Default looking for guidance

i've never had any luck with pumping, and...long story short, im trying to rebuild my supply, basically from scratch <can hand ex. a Little>. i got a hospital grade pump, but my question is: if im getting nothing, how long should i pump for?

Default Re: looking for guidance

I would suggest double pumping for 5-7 minutes, then use the tips for assisting milk ejection reflex (MER), then pump for 5-7 minutes more. If you feel like you have milk that you're not getting out, you could try hand expression after the second pump. In fact, that is a great way to maximize your output (and production)! As your production increases, you'll probably need to pump longer in order to remove all the milk.

Are you nursing in addition to pumping?

Have you called your local LLL Leader for support?

Unhappy Re: looking for guidance

thank you for answering! im actually trying to relactate, i guess...long story. im not really getting Anything at this point, but im determined to get her back on the breast. its only been about 2 weeks off, but shes only 6 weeks old. im taking fenugreek and have a hospital grade pump that i got yesterday, but so far i literally have not gotten one drop...kind of discouraging, but i'll keep it up for now...

I don't have any advice, but you should check out the relactation section here. I am sure you will find answers to many questions you may have. Good luck
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

How does she react when you offer the breast?
    A LOT of skin to skin contact is recommended. Try to pump at least 10 times a day. There is also something you can do called "power pumping" where you pump for 10 minutes, turn off the pump, then go back on for 10, etc ,etc. For me the power pumping works best in the morning when my supply is at it's highest.

Here are some helpful links:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...actagogue.html

You may also try using an SNS (supplemental nursing system) to help baby latch again. It has worked for a lot of moms here, although not my baby just yet.

Best wishes! I know you visited the other thread for support but it's good to keep a record of "your own" progress here. I know it's helped me immensely to come here and share what I am going through and even keep a log of what's happening as time goes on. Use this thread as a blog of sorts to keep yourself motivated and ask us here for advice or encouragement. I am certain you CAN do this.

When I offer the breast to her, she turns away, or pushes it away with her tongue, once she sucked for a second and made a gagging face...that one stung a little. I never really thought of keeping track of how I'm doing, figured no one would really be that interested, and I already knew what was going on...but you're probably right, it might help when I'm really discouraged.
    Thank you so much for responding, I really do look to you for encouragement, I guess you can say. You're posts remind me that I can do it too, and when I feel like I can't, it's good to see that someone already is...

i'm totally excited right now! I've pumped an Ounce today already!! thats more than I've ever pumped in a whole day!

Quote Originally Posted by melbelle View Post
    When I offer the breast to her, she turns away, or pushes it away with her tongue, once she sucked for a second and made a gagging face...that one stung a little. I never really thought of keeping track of how I'm doing, figured no one would really be that interested, and I already knew what was going on...but you're probably right, it might help when I'm really discouraged.
    Thank you so much for responding, I really do look to you for encouragement, I guess you can say. You're posts remind me that I can do it too, and when I feel like I can't, it's good to see that someone already is...
    Well I can't say whether or not it will work for you to come here. I guess I wouldn't really know how someone else gains from doing something. It may not have the same positive effect. I'm just saying that if you do feel like coming here and updating us on your progress, you will get a lot of positive encouragement, advice and feedback. I have wanted to give up so many times but the wonderful ladies here have helped strengthen my will. I often communicate best through writing so the internet is one venue that has been helpful to me.

It may also help you to contact a local LLL leader in your area, and even find a lactation consultant to coach you through it. My midwife would always bug me about going to LLL meetings while I was preggo but I never thought anything of it. I wondered how hard latching a baby to the breast and letting her eat could possibly be. Now I'm kicking myself for not doing it!

Above all, don't give up hope. Pumping just a little bit each day is doing so much for your child. And offering the breast to her as often as you can, letting yourself be available to her and keeping a positive attitude can all help her get interested in nursing again. The biggest hindrance can be forcing the breast when she isn't interested. The key I guess is to lead her to it and to have a supply of milk. That's why the SNS might help. It will be an instant reward of milk should she choose to latch.
    Your LO hasn't been away from nursing for that long. Mine hasn't nursed in about 6 months. I'm still determined.

Quote Originally Posted by melbelle View Post
    i'm totally excited right now! I've pumped an Ounce today already!! thats more than I've ever pumped in a whole day!
    Hooray!
    That's awesome news!! How did you do it? Have you also tried manual expression? Most moms can get even more that way.

I'm sorry if i came of as rude or snotty about keeping track of what i'm doing on this thread...it's more of a lack of confidence/self-esteem thing i think...
    i don't know what i did differently! i maybe ate more yesterday, and i had a glass of wine last night...
    Thank you for taking an interest, though...oh! and what exactly is manual expression? i'm afraid i'm still quite ignorant...

You didn't come across any differently than you intended to!! No worries! I was just hoping I wasn't too pushy.

Did I also mention that drinking a lot of water is helpful? Wine can help relax you I think. I have one now and then, or a dark beer in the hot tub. Anything to help you relax, in moderation of course is great. Oatmeal for breakfast is also helpful!