Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plugged ducts when pump weaning

Default Re: Plugged ducts when pump weaning

I am using Avent pump which has petals. Is this what you suggest I rotate to apply equal pressure? Or do you mean the positioning of the nipple in relation to the suctioned area? But in either case, it sounds like a good idea to make sure to apply suction equally. I'll try it out.

So far I have drop off another pumping session and is down to 4/day. I am using hot water bottle wrapped in face towel with each session to encourage the milk to flow out better to prevent plugging.

With regards the cabbage leaves, is this where I should apply refrigerated cabbage leaves? Do you know how soon it works and for how long each time and how frequent I should apply the leaves on my breasts? If I have cold packs, can I use those?

Thank you for your great suggestions! They are greatly appreciated.

Cabbage is best used directly on the skin. *** do not use if you are allergic to sulfa! It works to reduce engorgement, -but used regularly has been cited as reducing milk in many anecdotal references. Scroll down on this link : http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...gorgement.html for details of the uses of cabbage. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it works for many mothers.

How empty are you pumping your breasts out?

I was talking about rotating the petals around. You understood perfectly.

Thank you for the cabbage reference. I'll give it a try!

You are right! Rotating the pressure from the petals does help.

Right now I try my best to empty my breasts. I am afraid of causing plugging if I do not empty them.

Also, when I am down to 2-3x/day, how would I know when I can stop pumping? I presume the breasts would not completely stop producing milk. So if milk is < 1 or .5 oz. could I just stop the pumping? If a small amount of milk is left in the breasts, would that not cause mastitis if left in?

Thanks!

Hi Jones88. I know this must be far in your memories right now, but I am in the same spot you were. I am pumping 3 times a day while at work and nursing in the morning and night. I am trying to wean off of the pumping at work because my son is 9 months and I am producing much more than he is eating? What did you find worked out for you in the end to not get plugged ducts. I have been plauged with them all through the months of nursing but now that I am trying to cut my times back I am getting them more often.

If you empty your breast at a pumping time I'm nervous it will only trigger me to produce more. I have yet to cut out a session..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!