Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: breastfeeding 9 month old...how often?

Default breastfeeding 9 month old...how often?

How often is normal for breastfeeding a 9 month old? My dd will be 9 months this saturday and I am still nursing her every 2-3 hours. I am wondering if this is more often than normal. I am starting to feel a little like I can't get away ever. I know it doesn't last forever, but I'm wondering if this frequent nursing is normal at this age. She has always slept great through the night, since she was about 2 months old...right now she sleeps from about 8pm until 7am. At one point I thought maybe she just needed to eat more during the day since she was not waking up at night, but I'm not sure now.

She's not eating a lot of food, so maybe that's part of it. We started food at 6 months, but she was having a hard time pooping, a little constipated and it was hard like adult poop, so we backed off the food and went back to full time nursing maybe around 7 months until about 8 months. Now we are back on the food, stage 1 and at first I only fed her half a jar of the stage 1 and now we are up to a full jar once a day of stage 1. Should I be feeding her food more often and possibly nursing less?

Default Re: breastfeeding 9 month old...how often?

My son is 9.5 months old and eats 3 full meals a day, and he still nurses that much too. He also sleeps through the night. I think it's normal.

my 9.5 month old son eats 3 meals a day with 1-2 snacks and he nurses 4-5 times a day - typically 5am, 10am, 2pm and 7pm.
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

DS nursed that often and nursed a few times during the night. Sounds normal.

My 8.5 month old eats every 3 hours during the day, and somtimes once during the night. We have been feeding 2 meals a day (breakfast adn dinner) and just this week added lunch. So that is one jar of stage 2 fruit for breakfast, one jar of stage 2 veggie for dinner and now one jar of stage 1 for lunch (slowly adding it and wanting to get rid fo the stage ones I still have!)

So . . . I think nursing that often is normal. Just fYI, Up until about a month ago, we were nursing every 2-3 hours, but I made a decision for my own sanity to try to get him on a more consistent evey 3 hour routine. I know lots of moms around here don't mind nursing on demand, and I did for a long time. . . but for me if I want to keep bf, I needed a lil "break" through a better routine. And he is doing great with it, adn actually eating better because he isnt "snacking." NEWAy, If you are ok with that, you are fine! but if you want, your LO probably can go every 3 hours if you added some solids at this age . . . whatever you are most comfortable doing. . .

Hi, My little one is 9.5 months and is the same way except she wont sleep thru the night yet!
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

thank you ALL soooo much! I'm just glad to know it's normal! This is my first and I worry that I should be doing things differently...I know every baby is different and I believe in letting the baby tell me when she's hungry/nursing on demand, but I still wanted to make sure I wasn't way out of line with still nursing her that often! For my sanity, I may try to get her to eat a little less often, maybe every 3 hours instead of the almost normal 2 hours when we're at home. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one more question that I thought of...do you breastfeed first and then offer food, an hour later or so? or try to replace a nursing session? I've been doing the just after nursing or an hour later...

Hi, I usually bf first and then feed her solids. I have tried it both ways and dont see much of a difference yet. Hopefully soon as I would really like to get her nursing sessions down cause I am getting really tired again. I did read the 9 month growth spurt is a big one so I am thinking she is going thru that now plus she is breaking another tooth.
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

DS is going to be 10 months in a few days, has 3 solid meals per day and nurses at least every hour. i thought he would've slowed down by now!