Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fever?

Default Fever?

Hi,

Ive been breastfeeding my newborn for a little over 2 weeks. Ive been feeling weak and have a low grade fever of 100.1. I took some motrin and feel a little better. I do have nipple pinkness/pain when baby latches on (not when hes eating) could this be because of the nipple pain???? I also have been going a little crazy with a toddler home as well (18 months).

Also, this question is really different. My baby boy lies facing me completely with his eyes looking straight into my breast (this position works well for us). My lc told me to not do the C hold but hold the breast vertically. Does that work with the position I mentioned above? (She said this would help with the pain)And, I thought the baby was supposed to look into your eyes, my baby doesnt look at my face much when hes not eating and I didnt know if that position was keeping him from progressing with eye development (laying horizontally) any info appreciated. Thank You Karen (sore mama in CT)

Default Re: Fever?

Quote Originally Posted by want2breatfeed View Post
    Hi,

Ive been breastfeeding my newborn for a little over 2 weeks. Ive been feeling weak and have a low grade fever of 100.1. I took some motrin and feel a little better. I do have nipple pinkness/pain when baby latches on (not when hes eating) could this be because of the nipple pain???? I also have been going a little crazy with a toddler home as well (18 months).

Also, this question is really different. My baby boy lies facing me completely with his eyes looking straight into my breast (this position works well for us). My lc told me to not do the C hold but hold the breast vertically. Does that work with the position I mentioned above? (She said this would help with the pain)And, I thought the baby was supposed to look into your eyes, my baby doesnt look at my face much when hes not eating and I didnt know if that position was keeping him from progressing with eye development (laying horizontally) any info appreciated. Thank You Karen (sore mama in CT)

my thoughts about the weakness and fever is that you have mastitis or a breast infection. I would call your OB about this because I waited three days with a fever of 103-104 before I called.

If your baby eats ok with the position you have him in, i would see no problem

Default Re: Fever?

on mastitis...I'd get it checked out.

As far as positioning, my DS didn't look straight at me, either. I have small breasts, so he didn't have much of an option, there. I was taught to go "belly-to-belly", which would have him directly facing me. Maybe there's another reason your LO is suggesting a change to your hold?

Oh, I just had a thought.....is she referring to the football/clutch hold, where baby's legs are almost behind you? That could have your baby facing up toward you.

There's lots of effective positions, and one isn't necessarily better than another, as long as baby's comfortable, you're comfortable, and baby's latch is good. That's my 2 cents.