Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low supply on one side and strange odor...

Question Low supply on one side and strange odor...

I need some desperate help!! My son is 11 weeks old, he is my second son, but my first to breastfeed so this is all still so new to me. My right side has never really supplied alot of milk compared to my left. I can miss a feeding and try to pump and get almost 6 oz. out of my left and only about 1 1/2 oz. from my right. I am fixing to go back to work, it wears me left side out to pump it constantly, any suggestions on how to increase my supply for my right side. I try to just let him use is as much as possible, but he gets so frustrated that nothing comes out. Also, I noticed yesterday I have a strange odor coming from my right side. It almost resembles the smell of spoiled milk. Can my milk go bad inside of my breast?? I am so paranoid, please help!!! Thank you...

A Mother in Need of Answers......
    Alisha Bailey

Default Re: Low supply on one side and strange odor...

No, your milk can't go back on your breast, but I don't know what to tell you about the odor thing. Start your feedings with the right breast and when he start getting frustrated switch to the left and finish pumping the right one, pump the right one more often than the left one. One breast will always have more milk than the other.

And you're not paranoid, when in doubt ask questions.
    Welcome to the forum!

my left breast makes about half the amount that the right does. i have nevr understood this but this has been the case with all 5 of my boys!

My left rarely lets down to a pump, but my right side always does and gives me a ton of milk. BUT - pumping isn't a good reflection of what is actually in your breast.

I always offer both breasts and always start with the one she finished on her last feeding. I seem to be staying even and producing the same amount on each side for her - just not when I pump.

As far as the odor - I had a weird odor the other day all morning long and then it went away. The one thing I did differently in my diet was eat strong onions the day before. I think the onions are what caused the smell. I also had a weird smelling pump the next morning after I ate asparagus. I am just going to stay away from those foods. The baby didnt' seemed bothered, though - she just sucked away!

oh - one more thing - when my left lets down it is usually because I use a warm rice sock and massage it. For some reason the heat helps.