Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Taking forever..is this normal?

Default Taking forever..is this normal?

Hi! My son is 2 1/2 weeks old. Right from the start he seemed to want to take a long time to nurse..up to an hour. Now we have only 2 modes of wakefullness..crying and nursing. Last night we nursed for over 2 hours

If I try to take him away from the breast before he falls asleep, he cries. It seems to be the only thing that soothes him. My OB said babies typically drain a beast in 10 minutes. So what's he doing the rest of the time?

I now have blocked ducts and am getting very frustrated with the whole thing. How can they be blocked if he is nursing SO much? I'm not getting anything else done..that includes simply eating lunch.

I dont want to give up, but I feel like I'm at my wit's end!

Default Re: Taking forever..is this normal?

Congrats on your new baby!!!

It can be confusing, these early days! But I feel you've come to the right place

Here's some info that may help you with some of the things you mentioned:

First of all, you can't "drain" a breast per se. Milk is there, basically, as needed, non stop! But here's more info on milk production.

Babies tend to nurse frequently during the early days, as well as in a growth spurt - your boy is in the prime time for a growth spurt .

Blocked/Plugged ducts

Edited to add that during these times of frequent nursing, see if you can set up nursing stations.. a place where you have all your needs in arms reach. Healthy handy snacks, your water/fluids, magazines, a book, the tele and TV remote even.

Last edited by Number3; January 17th, 2008 at 12:52 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I agree with the pp. My son would feed for hours, and still does when he hits a growth spurt. The first six weeks all I did was sit on my butt and nurse, nurse, nurse, and nurse some more. Time makes all things better, and even though you feel like a sitting duck, just think he will be crawling before you know it.

I got really good at eating while he was feeding, takes some practice but you can do it.

Thank you so much for your encouragement! I was beginning to think that there was something wrong, or that he wasn't getting enough and that's why he needed to nurse for so long.

Congrats! You are doing great!!!! My DS ate for an hour at a time until he was 6 weeks old, then it was 45, then 30, then 20, now 10-20 depending on his mood. you are not doing anything wring and as long as there are 6 wet diapers a day LO is getting enough. good luck we are here for you
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Well - since you said that I'll give you this link as well. (I love links )

How to tell if baby is getting enough:

Under 6wks.
    Over 6wks.

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Hang in there! My son was/is the same way. He's colicky & often nurses for 1 1/2 hours each time. Some of it is actually eating, but a lot is comfort sucking. I keep some books or magazines nearby & got a Netflix subscription. It's a difficult adjustment to make, but I'd much rather be relaxing with a book or movie & nursing than dealing with a hysterical baby! Good luck!