Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lancing?

Exclamation Lancing?

Ok i am going back to the doctor today for a follow up for the mastitis and he said he might have to lance it, as anyone ver had this done and if so what is involved?

thank you

Default Re: Lancing?

Hugs!
    sorry to hear that you're having to deal with a bad case of mastitis!

I never had my breasts lanced, but I did have my earlobes lanced when my first ear piecing (age 11) got so infected it became an abcess....
    the doctor made a little cut, put a massive needle into the infection and sucked out a bunch of pus.

perhaps you will get some responses from other mamas who have been through this.

good luck!

I'm sorry to say this, and I say it from a completely ignorant position - I know nothing of your doctor - but my first gut reaction was: Get a second opinion from a female doctor. I apologize if this sounds sexist, and again, I don't know your doctor, he very well may be wonderful and empathic to the needs of women - But a) this is your breasts we are talking about and b) your baby's food source.. be sure is all.

My apologies also for not addressing the question you asked, which was for advice from those who have BTDT. I'll just be moseying along to mind my own business now...

the doctor made a little cut, put a massive needle into the infection and sucked out a bunch of pus
    OUCH!

I would definately get a second opinion. I don't know what has already been tried but here's what WebMd says about when mastitis isn't responding to antibiotics.

http://www.webmd.com/hw/raising_a_family/hw98077.asp

Breast milk culture
    If you have an infection that isn't improving with treatment, your health professional may do a breast milk culture. To provide a sample for a culture, you will squeeze a small sample of milk from the affected breast onto a sterile swab. The culture results help your doctor confirm a diagnosis and to find out the specific bacteria that are causing the infection.

Occasionally it takes more than one round of antibiotics to clear a breast infection. If you have not been responding to antibiotic treatment, culture results may be used to determine the most effective antibiotic for you.

Abscess

Sometimes a pocket of pus (abscess) forms in the reddened area of the breast. If an abscess is too deep to examine by touching it, your health professional may use a breast ultrasound to examine it. Ultrasound can also be used to guide a needle to an abscess that needs to be drained of fluid. A culture of the abscess fluid is usually done to identify the infecting organism.

Leighahh -- has your mastitis developed into an abcess? If that has happened, then it's SERIOUS, and it will need to be surgically drained (lanced).

But this is very, very rare -- especially for a case of mastitis that was caught pretty early and treated with antibiotics. If you can tell us more about what is happening right now with your breast infection, then we can help you find reliable information about appropriate treatment options.

--Rebecca

ok mastitis is gone i think he just thought that because of the way it looked that it might be an absess and might have to be lanced if antibotics didnt work but they did and they even helped sore nipples