Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BTDT? Advice please! BITING/breaking skin!

Unhappy BTDT? Advice please! BITING/breaking skin!

Hi, again! I'm sorry to be back with the same issue! DS2 is teething. He has his bottom two teeth in the middle. Well, he is currently cutting his bottom incisors. I remember with DS1, these were very painful! Well, DS2 bit me Sunday night and I bled all day Monday while pumping. Last night, he continuously bit me and my nipple (sorry, TMI) is THROBBING today! I have not yet pumped for the first time yet today, but I am dreading it because I know it is going to be excruciating!!!! I immediatelyl take him off and firmly tell him "No biting." He doesn't bite when he is REALLY hungry. I know he is just biting down because his gums hurt, but I can't take this! I never went through this with DS1, so this is all new to me. I have teethers that I put in the fridge for him. He does like those, but he still bites me! What can I do? I am in A LOT of pain here! I nursed DS1 for 2 1/2 years and wanted to at least offer DS2 the same! I can't take this constant biting!!!! Advice? TIA!!!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

Default Re: BTDT? Advice please! BITING/breaking skin!

I have not been thru this yet so I wish I had better advice for you. But when I was getting blisters from the pump, I put lanolin on the spot before and after pumping, and it helped it to heal alot faster. Good luck with the biting!

Thank you! I put lanolin on this morning before I left for work, but it is just sitting here THROBBING as I sit! I'm such a baby! Thanks for the reply!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

If it is throbbing, I would take a good look and see if it looks infected. If it is, all purpose nipple ointment might be what you need to heal it up. http://www.kellymom.com/newman/03b-t...s_breasts.html (A call to your dr or LC would probably be in order.) Hand expressing may be more gentle than pumping right now. http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html Here's the "how-to" if you need that.

I also have a biter and it has been rough at times. On the days when his teeth were really bothering him, he often went much longer between sessions than usual, and if I tried to nurse him sooner, I got bit. You can try offering him something appropriate to bite before nursing, then if he bites, take him off, tell him no biting and give him the teether again so he knows what he can bite. If he is presistent, start watching him closely for cues that he will bite--a look in his eyes, the set of his jaw, or some other way that he moves and then put your finger between his teeth to save your breast.

Hopefully this passes soon and you get all healed up!

Oh, Betsy, I'm so sorry! DD isn't a biter, but I got this advice when she was beginning to teethe and I was worried about getting chomped: take the baby off the breast once she has stopped feeding actively and is only sucking for comfort. Supposedly babies only bite when they have stopped feeding and are "playing around" at the breast. HTH, and hang in there!

Thank you both, Rebecca and I-Man's Mama! It finally stopped throbbing and does not look bad AT ALL, but let me tell you it is right on the nipple, not the areola and it is/was very painful! It is actually getting better too! The problem is that he seems to be doing it a lot in the middle of the night when I am sleeping and he is nursing. Let me tell you, I wake up real quick when he does that! Thanks again, ladies!! The teether on hand is a good idea!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

I can totally relate. Owen can be a like a piranha sometimes. He left me bloodied on both nips 2 days before Christmas. I had bloodstains in my bra, and like you thought, there is only so much I can take! He only bites when he is teething, but I have found that when he is done, he is more apt to bite. When I had the bloodied nips I expressed a little milk, rubbed that in, and then put lanolin on, they healed in no time. I did find that I was dreading each feeding (esp. the dark nighttime ones) b/c I was scared that it would happen again. Definitely keep an eye on him and when he looks like he is finished pop him off!

for your aching nips - the throbbing is not fun!

Thanks, raline! He did not bite at all last night! Thanks for the advice! The lanolin is really helping!!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

My son bit only a couple of times and not hard thank God. My mom told me that she was taught from her ped (years ago) to hit (gently) the bottom of their foot when they bite. I tried that and it seems to be working. He has not bit in weeks. I think biting stems from gum pain from teething. Have you tried giving anything before bedtime? I use the Hylands teething tablets. All natural and seem to work great for teething pain.

I got desperate the other night and went to the drug store to pick the Humphrey's teething tablets up. Seem to be working well! Thanks!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07