Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tamiflu and breastfeeding

Default Tamiflu and breastfeeding

My husband and I both have the flu. I called my Ob/gyn to see if I could take Tamiflu and she said it has not been proven safe in infants breastfeeding so I have to weigh the risks/benefits. I guess I could pump and throw out the milk for awhile but I hate for my son to be on straight formula. I know a lot of times doctors are extra cautious so just wondering if anyone here has any experience with Tamiflu and breastfeeding?

Default Re: Tamiflu and breastfeeding

How old is your baby? Tamiflu is 'safe' for babys >1yo. So if it is something that would be given to your LO, it would be reasonably safe for mom to take it as well.

Well I just did a little poking around and it doesn't seem to be safe enough as per Dr Hale here

We have no data on Tamiflu in breastfeeding mothers. If you look at the efficacy of this product in reducing symptoms and severity of flu, it is only marginal, perhaps only reducing the duration by a day at best and then ONLY if you take it immediately when symptoms appear.

This is one of those cases where in most normal women... taking the medication is not worth the risk (however low) to the infant.

Basically, if you are going to gain a lot from taking a medication, then it might be worth a little risk to the infant. But if you're NOT going to gain much...then I wouldn't take it.
    And - franlkly. I'd not want to stop breastfeeding just to take it because then you open baby up to become more prone to aquiring the illness since your taking his source of antibodies away - as it's best to continue nursing when mom is sick - kwim?

Feel better soon - take your vit c and plenty of fluids (and rest )
    Last edited by Number3; January 16th, 2008 at 09:45 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks....baby is only 5 weeks old. I guess I'm not going to take it then as I dont want to take any chances. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by dliver316 View Post
    My husband and I both have the flu. I called my Ob/gyn to see if I could take Tamiflu and she said it has not been proven safe in infants breastfeeding so I have to weigh the risks/benefits. I guess I could pump and throw out the milk for awhile but I hate for my son to be on straight formula. I know a lot of times doctors are extra cautious so just wondering if anyone here has any experience with Tamiflu and breastfeeding?
    Do you have to take something for it? Or can you bare with it till it passes? I was told to keep breastfeeding through my tummy flu so the baby would get the immunities. So if you can deal with not taking meds for the flu (it was hard for me I am such a wimp when I am sick!! LOL) keep breastfeeding so the baby will be better protected.

Quote Originally Posted by dliver316 View Post
    I started taking tamiflu 3 days ago the Dr seemed fine with me breastfeeding and said he does not know because it has never been tested, only in rats I did not like it but I was so sick he said it is also given to people to prevent the flu it may even help prevent her from getting it. Tonight we have noticed a red blistery rash on her arm I an going to call the pediatrician stop medicine use a pump and throw out the milk this is insane that these test have not been preformed and they are acting like there are no risk I have even read tonight online that this can cause dizziness & confusion and sever mental problems

WARNING TAMIFLU
    I started taking tamiflu 3 days ago the dr seemed fine with me breastfeeding and said he does not know because it has never been tested, only in rats I did not like it but I was so sick he said it is also given to people to prevent the flu it may even help prevent her from getting it. Tonight we have noticed a red blistery rash on her arm I an going to call the pediatrician stop medicine use a pump and throw out the milk this is insane that these test have not been preformed and they are acting like there are no risk I have even read tonight online that this can cause dizziness & confusion and sever mental problems

meme - can you update? Any news on your LO's rash?

My LO wouldn't eat or drink anything, so rather than take him to the hospital, I deided to bf him while I was on Tamiflu. Tamiflu is one dose every 12 hours, so I figured it was safest to bf him every 12 hours - right before taking the next dose.

3 days later, he has a rash on his legs He had dry skin there before and it could be chafing - but I thought it is worth sharing just in case.... It isn't blistery.