Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with solids

Question Help with solids

I have a few questions and have not been able to talk to my pediatrician just yet because she's not been available, but anywho here goes:

My daughter is 5 1/2 months old and as directed by my pediatrician has been on solids since she was 4 months old. The first month was only cereal mixed in bm but at 5 months old I started her on babyfood. I nurse her right before each of her solids meals and at other times throughout the day and night. However, I feel that she is feeding less. She feeds a LOT in the morning before she has breakfast, like between the hours of 5am and 8am but after her breakfast is when her feedings kinda taper off. I nurse her it seems only a couple of minutes before a meal before she gets off, or when she wants to go to sleep after a meal. She eats all of her food though, the whole jar of babyfood, sometimes half. My question is this, should I be pumping or something to keep my milk supply up? Is my milk going to go down because of this? I feed on demand usually but this just sucks, I feel like she's not getting enough even though she's satisfied for three hours or more. The big thing brings me to my second question, she does not sleep through the night.

I thought that when she started solids she may sleep more at night because its adding to her feedings of milk, she's awake most of the day with a couple of naps, but at night she wakes every 4 hours to feed. Am I not keeping her satisfied enough to sleep through the night? Is this because i'm breastfeeding and not filling her up with a huge bottle of formula? I'm not sure what to think. It seems everyone elses babies are sleeping all night long and mine isn't. Is this normal? I'm not really complaining, just wanting to know if I should get concerned about my supply. When did your babies start sleeping through the night? Did your supply drop when you started solids?

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Help with solids

A few links you might find useful:

Is my baby getting enough milk?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html

Is your milk supply low?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
    (note particularly the part about older babies feeding for a shorter time - my 9-m-o feeds for just a few minutes)

It is perfectly normal for babies not to sleep through - solids and formula do not make a baby sleep through (my DS still wakes frequently during the night)
    http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/sleep.html

We are doing BLW so he doesn't actually swallow a lot of solids. He just eats as much as he wants/needs to. He still nurses as much as he did 6 months ago.

And finally, despite what most docs say, if you are worried about her weight gain, the best thing would be to reduce rather than increase solids:

"Stop or decrease solid foods, particularly if baby is younger than 6 months. Most solids foods have fewer calories and nutrients than breastmilk, plus they tend to replace (rather than add to) the higher-calorie, more nutritious breastmilk."
    from http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

As you introduce solids, the breastfeeding will tapper off some. When they start eating solids, you are technically beginning the weaning process. Your baby needs a minimum of 17 ounces of BM a day (unless your doc says otherwise). How many times does she breastfeed a day? My son breastfeeds 4-5 times a day, so to get 17 ounces of BM, he needs to be getting a little over 4 ounces at each feeding. I'm sure he's at least getting that. If your baby eats more often than that, then she would need to be getting even less than that at each feeding. Grantid, 17 ounces is the minimum and most babies eat more than that, but hopefully it at least puts your mind to rest. Babies are very good at telling you what they need. When my son needs to nurse and it is meal time, he refuses the food until he nurses. I wouldn't pump to keep up your supply. Your body adjusts to what your baby needs, so if she doesn't need more, then there is no reason for you to go through all of that. As far as the sleeping through the night, I agree with the pp...formula is not going to make the baby sleep longer. My doc told me that around 4-5 months, babies have better memory and they begin to realize that when they cry, mom comes to get them instead of putting themselves back to sleep. So, if you are not one for the cry it out method and you are ok with going in to feed her everytime she wakes up, then don't worry about it. With my son, I've started going into his room and reassuring him (picking him up and telling him he's ok) and maybe changing his diaper, then I lay him back down. He's usually asleep by the time I get back to my bed. That way, he doesn't get used to eating at night, but he still feels secure that I will come for him if he needs me. Good luck!!!
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

Hi, I wouldnt worry since you are bf before or after a meal. Like the previous poster said your body adjust. My daughter would eat alot and still not sleep thru the night. I think she had several growth spurts and teething issues. She is a big girl (takes after Dad) at 9 months she is 27bs and has 8 teeth. My daughter still eats solids and nurses every 3 hours at 9 months. She doesnt sleep thru the night still. We are working on that right now.
    Last edited by mommywith3; January 17th, 2008 at 10:38 AM.
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

Maybe she is making up for not getting as much bm throughout the day, that is why she nurses at night. Most babys don't sleep thru the night though. Just be sure to give her as much bm as she wants.

Yes it's normal. The links given are great ones - BF often!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

The night wakings are perfectly normal. If you're worried about too much solids & less BFing, then the advice would be to stop spoon feeding and allow her to self feed. That way she has total control over the quantity and is not getting more than she is developmentally ready for. HTH!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    As you introduce solids, the breastfeeding will tapper off some. When they start eating solids, you are technically beginning the weaning process. Your baby needs a minimum of 17 ounces of BM a day (unless your doc says otherwise). How many times does she breastfeed a day? My son breastfeeds 4-5 times a day, so to get 17 ounces of BM, he needs to be getting a little over 4 ounces at each feeding. I'm sure he's at least getting that. If your baby eats more often than that, then she would need to be getting even less than that at each feeding. Grantid, 17 ounces is the minimum and most babies eat more than that, but hopefully it at least puts your mind to rest. Babies are very good at telling you what they need. When my son needs to nurse and it is meal time, he refuses the food until he nurses. I wouldn't pump to keep up your supply. Your body adjusts to what your baby needs, so if she doesn't need more, then there is no reason for you to go through all of that. As far as the sleeping through the night, I agree with the pp...formula is not going to make the baby sleep longer. My doc told me that around 4-5 months, babies have better memory and they begin to realize that when they cry, mom comes to get them instead of putting themselves back to sleep. So, if you are not one for the cry it out method and you are ok with going in to feed her everytime she wakes up, then don't worry about it. With my son, I've started going into his room and reassuring him (picking him up and telling him he's ok) and maybe changing his diaper, then I lay him back down. He's usually asleep by the time I get back to my bed. That way, he doesn't get used to eating at night, but he still feels secure that I will come for him if he needs me. Good luck!!!
    Thank you very much! I guess I can't say she's not getting enough to eat because she is gaining weight and she's not dehydrated or anything and she's satisfied between feedings. I feed her by breast i'd say about 4-5 times during the day and then once more when she goes to bed for the night. So around 6 times a day. I also have been ignoring her squirms at the2:30am time and she usually puts herself back to sleep but if she cries I or my husband goes to her, puts a paci in her mouth and pats her back to sleep. That has been working well and she won't wake to eat until 5am so yay! Last night she actually slept from 11:30pm till about 7am but I think it was just a fluke lol she's done that a couple times before. She's active and healthy and she wets about 4 diapers during the daytime and one or two at night. She's also teething I think so I ice my nipples to get her to latch on if she fusses, it works well. I'm glad to know that her not sleeping through the night isn't so unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    The night wakings are perfectly normal. If you're worried about too much solids & less BFing, then the advice would be to stop spoon feeding and allow her to self feed. That way she has total control over the quantity and is not getting more than she is developmentally ready for. HTH!
    What does that mean to self feed? I mean, I know what it means, but how do babies self feed? I just spoon feed her as much as she will take, if she starts to cry or looks away or purses her lips together I stop and nurse her. I'm not sure she could spoon feed herself, she does, but she grabs the spoon from my hand and puts it in her own mouth, i'm afraid to let go because she's good at choking herself from getting things too far in her mouth lol.

Thank you so much for these links!