Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting off the nipple shield at 11 weeks

Default Getting off the nipple shield at 11 weeks

I've been breastfeeding my son for eleven weeks now , and using the nipple shield (after working with 2 LCs) because he had a hard time latching on and with inverted nipples. He's been doing great in terms of weight gain and growth, and, for the last few weeks, I've been trying to transition him off of the shield. Sometimes he can latch on OK w/out the shield, but other times he just seems to get frustrated and can't latch. Also, he often nurses for 1 - 5minutes without the shield and then comes off for various reasons, and then can't seem to latch on again without the shield. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions to keep him going without the shield? I am happy to keep nursing with it if it's the only way it will work, but it would be easier with no shield to rinse or worry about bringing with me everywhere.

Thank you!

Default Re: Getting off the nipple shield at 11 weeks

I'm sure you've heard to start the baby on and then when they are not too hungry or too full, take it off and try to latch baby on without it. I've been using a NS with my dd for 3.5 months and just recently she was able to eat without it. It can happen spontaniously like that sometimes. Our problem is that I'm so used to the NS that I kept putting it back on to make sure she was really full and I think it was confusing her and so I decided to keep using it and try again in a few days. A lactation consultant told me that there is no urgent need to get a baby off the NS, as long as baby is growing and you are happy using it... but most of us hate the hastle of them. Just be consistant and I'm sure others will chime in with some good advice. Many people have had success weaning off of them

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

We used the NS for six months. I tried numerous times to wean DS off but nothing worked. Then at 6 months DS started pulling off the shield and playing with it and putting it into his mouth. This scared me especially at night because I thought he could choke on it or something. Anyways, one day we just stopped using it. It happened all on its own. I would just keep trying to nurse w/o it once in a while and eventually you will be free of it. Good luck.
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

Thank you both! It's reassuring to hear that others used the shield for a while and were still able to get off the shield. I was worried there was a window for stopping using the shield and that we might miss it. I'll just keep trying, and wait until he's ready to completley stop using it. Thanks!

Ditto, we used for about 5 months but around 4 1/2 months his latch improved enough to latch without it. Good luck!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*