Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What do you think?

Default What do you think?

At 11weeks my boy had an unexplained (ie not due to immunisations) high temperature of about 38.8 deg celcius...the doctor said it was a viral infection, and Nathan then had diarrohea that night which lasted for about 2 days. I since discovered that a lot of kids/babies that were also present at a coffee group thing I attended on the Wednesday also had the same bug. (Nathan only had the temp on Sunday, and it seemed the babes that were sick started to show illness between Fri and Sunday).

Anyway, the thing is, I was told that it is very unusual for a fully breastfed baby to get a viral infection at that age. As it is, my boy has been very slow to gain weight (about 80-120g a week) so this was not encouraging for me. Yesterday it was suggested to me that the fact that he got the bug at such a young age shows that there isn't enough nutrients in my milk. (He's now 3 months old.) Needless to say, I feel very disappointed, and discouraged, that perhaps by persisting in giving him breastmilk, I am not giving him quite the best, because despite being told breast is best, my boy is not gaining much weight and it seemed does not have good immunity.

I just want to know if LLL members/leaders think it is possible for a mother to produce milk that seems so lacking in nutrients? I eat a lot of good foods (and a lot of it) - fish, meat, avocadoes, almonds and cashews, oats, rice, bread, sunflower seeds etc - and on top of the 3 full meals I have, I also have a complan drink each day. My baby is settled mostly, sometimes fusses a bit when winding, but otherwise a happy baby developing normally. He is still feeding about 7-8 times in a 24 hr period.

Default Re: What do you think?

Poo! BF babies do too get sick, generally they just don't do it as often. Your breastmilk is just right for your baby.

Your baby is gaining weight and has plenty of wet diapers? Is he alert? Skin feels ok? Well then, he is most likely just fine.

Your baby is just fine, I think too often, many moms are under the impression that just your wee one is BF he will never get sick and that simply is not the truth.. As a matter of fact my exclusively BF baby is sick right now. Also he is just 16 pounds at almost 9 months. Please be encouraged, your doing a great job for your baby.

Whoever told you that was misinformed! THe pp was right- bf babies do get sick, just not as often. Your milk probably even helped your baby recover from this illness quicker than the others! The reason bf babies do not get as sick is because they recieve all the immunities their mother already has. This may have just been a strain you hadn't had yet so you hadn't developed the immunity to give to your son. THERE IS NO BETTER ALTERNATIVE TO BREAST MILK! A mother would have to be severely malnourished (which it doesn't sound like you are) to not be giving her baby the proper nutrients. It has been said that breastfeeding even helps to bridge the nutrition gap between poverty stricken children and the rich. Nutritionally speaking, there is no difference between a bf baby in poverty and one in a park avenue apartment. Keep up the good work and don't worry about the nay sayers. Some babies are slow gainers some gain real fast. If your baby is bf you can be confident that as long as there are plenty of wet/ dirty diapers that your baby is growing the way he is supposed to be.
    Last edited by LLL_Kristie; January 26th, 2006 at 08:37 PM.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Hi there!

I hope your baby feels better soon. It's so frustrating when our babies get sick! I know that feeling all to well

Breastfed babies do get sick, although they usually are healthier than otherwise formula fed babies. Nutritionally speaking, you could have a very poor diet and still be able to nourish your baby with the best in your breastmilk. Studies have shown that even malnourished mothers can nourish their babies with breastmilk, and they thrive even under these conditions. What happens is, your body will take the nutrients from YOUR body and give them to your baby through your milk. Ofcourse, it's important to take care of yourself and try to eat a balanced diet.

If you are concerned about his weight, count the wet and dirty diapers. Not all babies gain the same amount of weight, so that is something that I recommend speaking with your pediatrician about, since he will know the baby's chart and weight increase history.

I wish you all the best, and I hope your baby is feeling better soon!

The person who suggested that your milk might not be good enough for your baby is almost certainly mistaken. There is nothing in this world that you could give your baby which would be better than your milk. If there is concern over the baby's weight gain, you should consult an LLL leader or lactation consultant in the first instance to make sure the baby is feeding effectively. Don't let anyone talk you into introducing formula; with the right help and information, you can provide your baby with all the nourishment needed in the first several months of life. Please do not let the insensitive comments of misinformed individuals deter you from giving your baby the very best. Hang in there!