Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Foamy poop in newborn

Default Foamy poop in newborn

I have a 2 week old who after passing all the meconium, has had the normal mustard colored poop, but it's foamy. We do EC so we see it coming out, and it's really a lot of bubbles. And it's more liquidy than I remember from my first child. He seems fine. But he was a big child at birth. 9lbs 7 oz. And he is now only 8 lbs 14oz. He's only gained 2 oz in the last 5 days. My first child was gaining a lot faster. So needless to say, I'm a bit worried. I have spoken to my doctor who said to keep an eye on it. So has anyone else experienced foamy poops with their newborn?

-Lauren

Default Re: Foamy poop in newborn

Dr. Gordon: http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp
    all you could ever want to know about poop.

wow welcome back!
    What are babies nursing patterns like?
    How often, how long? all that good stuff?

Did you block feed with your older one?
    sometimes block feeding can help with some of the weird poop.

I'm so glad your back around!
    andrea

I just wanted to let you know that my daughter had that same "foamy" poop when she was about 1-2 weeks old. It went away after about a week or two.

he nurses quite often. time varies, but i leave it up to him. sometimes a few minutes, sometimes an hour. i'm not sure what block feeding is so i guess i didn't do that with my first. he really hates to nurse lying down for some reason. he's peeing a lot. occasionally his pee is yellow, but mostly clear.
    i am going to cut something out of my diet. not sure what to try. i don't eat dairy. i have been eating peanuts everyday. brassica (cabbage, brocolli, etc) sometimes. have had a little soy. i take prenatal vitamins with iron. these are all things i have read to cut out. i guess i will try one and see.

lauren

Read up more about hindmilk/foremillk & an imbalance. And a little bit of info on finishing the first breast first, here. Almost always, is the case with foamy/frothy poos, is an imbalance. Often 'caused' by forceful letdown.

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

okay, thanks everyone. i have read the links, and perhaps it's an imbalance issue. i do know about this issue, but i never had this problem last time, so i didn't think it was an issue. i can't get my baby to stay on one side long enough. he drinks, than comes off and cries until i give him the other side. i think my issue is that my nipples are very large.after the initial letdown, they kind of flop over and i think they are difficult to latch onto. there are two local leaders here, and one is out of town. i callled the other one, but she said foamy poops are not a problem. so not sure if i should call her back. any advice on the latch on?

-Lauren

Ever baby and every time can yeild something new since our bodies, and it's sytems, aren't staic - kwim? Every single one of my nursing experiences were different. !

Sorry I don't have advice about the latch. Has he been checked for tounge tie?

Here's more info on latch and here's another.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

mine too.. each kid is differnt..
    yours is very young yet, things might get beter as baby gets a little bit older and stronger..
    Block feeding would be using the same breast for feedings.
    So like if you are block feeding for 2 hours.
    After you nursed if the baby wanted to nurse before the 2 hours were up you would use the same breast.
    IF baby is nursing both breasts at each feed I think I would keep doing it that way.
    If baby is happy and gaining weight well.

do you hear lots of swallowing?
    are your nipples sore? Clogged ducts? MAstitis?
    was the baby early? babies born early sometimes have trouble nursing well.

things seem a little better today. i read a lot about formilk/hindmilk imbalance and have been block feeding for the most part. last night was rough as i had to get out of bed at each feeding because he just won't stay on each side for long when i'm on my side in bed. i've also been doing breast compression. in 5 days, he had only gained just under 2oz. then from yesterday until today, he gained another 2 oz. his poop was still runny today and a bit foamy, but it seems to not be as foamy. i guess we're not out of the woods yet, but it seems that with everyone's help here, i have figured out the problem. i will keep you posted.

andrea_ohio- my baby was late. no problems with sore nipples or mastitis (fingers crossed though i have a lump in my armpit that appeared when my milk came in). i have always heard him swallowing a lot.
    -lauren
    Last edited by LaurenS; January 18th, 2008 at 07:22 PM.