Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pedi's advice: stop nighttime nursing

Default pedi's advice: stop nighttime nursing

hi all,

my 16 week old son ust saw the pediatrician - he weighs 16 lb 4 oz (was 7 lb 13 oz at birth) and the pedi told me to cut out the night feedings b/c of his weight. he said he is a very healthy baby boy...in the 80th percentile...but since we have no trouble w/ feeding or nursing or whatever...and he is kind of ahead in his weight gain, that i should cut out nighttime feedings.

i felt annoyed...since all i've been reading is that there is no such thing as over-breastfeeding...am i wrong?

i do not overfeed my son.....he feeds on demand. (I work at home) he doesn't spit up or anything - and trust me, he only eats when he wants...he is very good at turning away, letting me know that he is NOT hungry....i am not force feeding him. if i think he's hungry (and i'm wrong) and offer it - trust me, he's like, "no no no" and squirms away. i never force him.

my LO loves to nurse at night every 3 hours or so...and we co-sleep.

in fact, nighttime is when he does a lot of his nursing...daytime..he snacks. but he always wakes up w/ like milk all over his face dried up. kind of funny actually. like he partied all night.

ok, anyhow. just curious....i'm not saying i know more than the pedi...i am just doing what i feel is right...

i know once my son starts crawling etc. a lot of the weight will burn off. but he's just a healthy baby.

WAHM and exclusively breastfeeding my naturally born son since 9/25/07.

Default Re: pedi's advice: stop nighttime nursing

I say keep doing what you are doing. If it's not broken, why fix it?

I think you little one's weight is just fine! My DS was ahead on weight for a while and it is evening out now...he was born 7 lbs 7 oz, think he was about your lo's weight around 4 months (and mind you my ped didn't say anything negative about his weight, but I do remember her saying i fed him too often....a snacker, too...so I ignored it). She said I could cut the night feeds to only one...if I wanted, but I didn't (b/c that is when he does most of his serious feeding). In the last few months (as he's moving more, wants to walk before crawl) his weight gain hasn't been as great, he's 7 months now and about 19 pounds.

I say follow what your instincts say, you are the Momma!

HTH
    as long as we can, as often as we can

Mama to DS born June 2007

I agree! Keep doing what you're doing. My ds was born at 10 lbs. and in the 80th percentile until his 6 month check up. His growth slowed down and now he's in the 33 percentile! His pediatrician said he's fine.

I agree with the pp. It sounds like you are doing great!
    I respect my pedi but I politely disregarded his advice to nightwean as well. When it comes down to it, this is not medical advice, kwim?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks for the advice.

I am continuing what i'm doing - i think it's what is best for my LO and for me. I am just going by what he wants and what makes him happy!

WAHM and exclusively breastfeeding my naturally born son since 9/25/07.

My pedi said the same thing, and I disregarded it. Keep doing what your doing! Your doing great!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

DS was in the 95 to 97th percentile for height and weight for at least the first year, and our pedi was very supportive to keep doing what we were doing. The research doesn't support what your pedi is saying--ask him to show you his evidence for that and I bet he can't. DS is now almost 2 and has gained about 2 to 3 pounds in the past year. He's still a good sized boy, but definitely slowed down.

Quote Originally Posted by la_baby01 View Post
    in fact, nighttime is when he does a lot of his nursing...daytime..he snacks. but he always wakes up w/ like milk all over his face dried up. kind of funny actually. like he partied all night.
    OMG OMG OMG I loved that comment, why?? BECAUSE THAT IS MY SON EVERY MORNING!

My son nurses like 10 times through the day plus almost all night, and weighs barely 18 lbs at 9 mo... Every kid is different, and your son will adjust to how his body is intended to be!!!

Follow your child, you are the ONLY person who will know your child!

Keep up the good work!

My son was born 2 days after yours - 9/27/07 and weighed 5lbs 8oz at birth... at his check up 1 week ago he weighed in at 14lbs 8.6oz, almost tripling his birth weight and my pedi didn't seem concerned at all.
    Amanda

Mommy to my preemie prince Alexander Warren born at 35 weeks 6 days
    on 9/27/07 at 9:02PM Via C-section
    Birth Weight/Length - 5lbs 8oz, 18" long
    Current Weight/Length at 3 years old - 34lbs, 38 inches tall.

Mommy to my little princess Abigail Rose born at 38 weeks 3 days on 11/06/09 @ 6:51PM Via C-section.
    Birth Weight/Length - 6lbs, 19 inches
    Breastfeeding and doing great!

I think your smarter then your doctor, if your listening to your baby...