Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: wanting to go back to breast

Default wanting to go back to breast

So, my girl is 5 months old (5 1/2 months really), and I'm trying to get her back to the breast. We had a lot of issues early on... she was too sleepy (probably from my emergency c-section meds) to drink much and I didn't know to wake her, she lost a ton of weight, and we were told to supplement. One bottle led to another......

At any rate, for a time I both breastfed, pumped, and did formula (to deal with supply issues I also had). Now, I still pump about 4 oz a day, and the rest is formula. She hasn't willingly taken the breast since about 2 months of age, but back in the day she was a fairly decent feeder. Now, she has classic bottle preference, and when I try to give her the breast she'll scream or cry angrily, arch her back, turn her head away, etc. I've slowly gotten her back into taking some bottles in a semi-cradle hold, but that's about as far as I've gotten. If I try to put my nipple in her mouth, no go. She even looks suspiciously at the bottle NEXT to my nipple.

Now, she's always going to need *some* bottles, because I work and she goes to day care, but I really would like to have a night time/weekend nursing relationship. We've tried a warm bath, but she hates baths in general and so it didn't work very well though I plan to try a few more times. I've tried popping her on the breast walking (sometimes works for a second), when she's sleepy, hungry, not hungry, etc. The other night after a bottle, when she was asleep, I managed to get my nipple right up to her lips, and she *kinda* put up with it for awhile, but then even in her sleep grimaced and changed positions.

I've read on some forums about using a lact-aid through a nipple, but if I am making milk, and it's coming out, do I need to use a lact-aid? Would that even help? I've tried squirting some out, into her mouth, etc, and it is almost like it comes out too fast or tastes wrong or something, she'll grimace and turn her head. Yet, she'll drink pumped milk out of a bottle no problem. Is it the temperature? (in general we give room temp bottles, though I think at day care they warm them more). I figure breast milk straight from the breast might be warmer than what she's used to??

Any thoughts/tips/etc??

THANKS!

Yellowgirl

Default Re: wanting to go back to breast

You already know so much and are trying so many good things. I am impressed!

The reason to put the lact-aid tubing through the nipple is to get the baby associating feeding with the lact-aid. (It only took my son about 24 hours of eating with the tubing strung through his bottle nipple, but it may take longer to make the association). Then the lact-aid goes to the breast and the baby will go to the breast because the lact-aid is there, which she associates with feeding.

It worked for me!

Keep us updated. I would love to hear how it works for you.

So I don't have much advice on the supply issues, but I sure know about the whole back-arching, screaming, nipple preference thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowgirl View Post
    I've slowly gotten her back into taking some bottles in a semi-cradle hold, but that's about as far as I've gotten. If I try to put my nipple in her mouth, no go. She even looks suspiciously at the bottle NEXT to my nipple.
    Try always holding her bottle for her, as close to the nursing position as possible. If she will let you, give her the bottle next to you nipple, skin to skin.

Now, she's always going to need *some* bottles, because I work and she goes to day care, but I really would like to have a night time/weekend nursing relationship.
    It might help if you stopped being the one bottle feeding her, or if you ALWAYS feed her next to the breast, That way she begins to associate you with nursing, instead of the bottle. Also, you will probably want to switch to the slowest flowing nipple you can, that way she won't expect instant gratification at the breast as well.

We've tried a warm bath, but she hates baths in general and so it didn't work very well though I plan to try a few more times. I've tried popping her on the breast walking (sometimes works for a second), when she's sleepy, hungry, not hungry, etc. The other night after a bottle, when she was asleep, I managed to get my nipple right up to her lips, and she *kinda* put up with it for awhile, but then even in her sleep grimaced and changed positions.
    That is really good progress! It took my daughter a long long time before she would even let me get NEAR her mouth with my nipple. Keep trying, with us it was very gradual with, one step forward, and then half a step back. We spent lots and lots of time skin-to-skin, and generally tried to make it fun cuddley time.

Any thoughts/tips/etc??
    It looks like you are already doing a lot. Lots of skin to skin is always good, and keep doing what you are doing!
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

THANKS for all of the support.

AN UPDATE: Last night, she sucked on my breast for several minutes!!!!! I bounced her around a lot, into the cradle hold, while standing up. My top was off, and she licked a nipple just a bit. Then, she was clearly hungry, so I fed her some out of a bottle before she got frustrated. The bottle was up close to my nipple. When she got some in her and paused for a break, I switched out the bottle for my nipple. She looked up at me like "Is this okay?" while I tried to smile and be encouraging, and she put it in her mouth and suckled for a little while. I know she got some milk that way, though not a lot, and I had to top her up again with the bottle, but we went about 5 minutes of her suckling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

That is tremendous success!

The more she does this, the more your supply will increase, and slowly but surely you will should need less and less formula!

and

How are things going with you? I'm so happy to read your baby is latching now. Any further success with your supply and nursing relationship?

Well, it's been not so great after my earlier post. But we had another latch, and I've bought the Aidiri nurser bottle to get her more used to breast-like bottles. I'm still trying though!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowgirl View Post
    Well, it's been not so great after my earlier post. But we had another latch, and I've bought the Aidiri nurser bottle to get her more used to breast-like bottles. I'm still trying though!
    Hey, thats a really great idea! I am going to order a couple just to see if it works for me and my LO too.
    Keep trying! I'm right there with ya!

Oooh, those bottles are really nice. I think it really helped Elisabeth get used to sucking the right way.

and