Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Weeks In and Close to Giving Up!

Default 3 Weeks In and Close to Giving Up!

My daughter is a little over three weeks old and we have had so many challenges with BFing already... In the hospital they told me I had flat nipples and she wouldn't latch on. She had low blood sugar (I had gestational diabetes) and we had to give her formula after her blood sugar levels stayed low for nearly a day.

A lactation consultant had us start using a nipple shield to help her latch on, and I was also pumping after almost every feeding. Things seemed to be going all right and after about a week we were able to stop using the shield. My nipples started turning bright pink and I had huge scabs on both sides that bled. Every time she latched on it felt like her mouth was full of needles and after she fed I would have burning, acid-like pain in my breasts.

We saw another lactation consultant who said she thought I had thrush. We've been treating it with nystatin (for her) and Lotramin (for me) for 1 1/2 weeks. My right side healed pretty well - the nipple has come out more and she has a decent latch on that side. She also seems to get quite a bit of milk from that side.

My left side has taken longer to heal and we just can't seem to get the latch right. It always seems too shallow. We've been to a breastfeeding clinic three times, and I've looked up every latch technique on the web I could find, and nothing seems to help. There is still uncomfortable pain (although not intolerable) on the left and she doesn't seem to be swallowing very often, so I don't think there is adequate milk transfer. The breast is also smaller than the other side and the nipple is still pretty flat.

At her last weight check our daughter hadn't gained anything from week 2-3, so the pediatrician has us supplementing with formula after most feedings. Between supplementing, dealing with the pain, pumping, etc. I am about at my wit's end! Not to mention I just don't enjoy the feeling of breastfeeding. I feel obligated to continue because I know it's best for our baby, but at the same time I just wish I could stop.

Sorry for the long post - any motivation would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: 3 Weeks In and Close to Giving Up!

I'll be honest. I didn't enjoy breastfeeding for a long time. It was hard, and uncomfortable, and I constantly worried about whether he was comfortable or getting enough, etc. And it was frustrating to have him constantly attached to my breast. I only continued because I believed it was the best thing for him, and around 8 weeks or so things changed for us. Several people had told me that if I could make it through the first month, it would get much easier. It was a little longer than that for me, but it did get easier, and I actually started looking forward to it. Now he's 9 months old, and it really is easy.

I felt so guilty for feeling that way for so long, and I never told anyone I felt that way (until now lol). You have to do what you feel is right for you and your family, but if there's any way you can keep nursing, I think you'll be glad you did. The beginning is so hard, and I know I didn't expect it to be; it just seemed to me that something so natural should come naturally, you know? But I really did have to learn how to do it.

Whatever you decide, you've given your baby several weeks of breastmilk, and that's a huge accomplishment--feel good about it!

Oh Mommy to Kaitlyn,
    Because she can't do it, I'll say it for her : 'Thank you Mommy for working so hard for me :-)'

I can totally sympathize with the lack of the graceful, sweet breastfeeding experience (at least in the early weeks) Why doesn't anyone tell us these things? My nipples, too, were flat and my dd chewed a big hole on one side before I got some help. Sore nipple shield from Medela help alot. Even after I got my latch fixed with dd and my nipple healed I still had some pain that lasted about 8 weeks. After that it was totally fine- no problem

I hemorrhaged after the birth of my son and I latched him the same way I did my dd and he still was tearing up my nipples so back to the LC, then two bouts of mastitis (from trying to do too much after hemorrhage and birth) but after I got a crazy latch idea from my LC for my 'special needs nipples' and some rest about 6weeks I was doing great and feeling no pain.

i am so sorry you are having a tough time, why is so hard to do the most natural thing there is? I wish i knew. Hang in there, it is TOTALLY worth it after you get the kinks worked out. It'll get better!

A few tips: try drawing the nipple out with the pump or manually before trying to latch lo on.
    My crazy latch was sort of like the football hold but he was lying on his side up under my arm and I brought him straight at the nipple (moving him on a perpendicular to my body instead of wrapping his head around my boob the get to the nipple. I don't know if that made any sense at all, but it really helped me!

Don't give up, mama. BF is hard. It is one of the most difficult things I have ever done, but after 21 months, it has been so worth it. As PPs said, it does get easier with time, I swear. Just give yourself a couple more weeks and see where you are then.

There were times for me, too, when I hated the way BF felt. I kept going, and those feelings went away.

Hang in there, mama! You can do this!
    Robin

don't give up. my son NEVER latched on even with a shield he had no interest. i got engorged i got mastitis and thrush. i worked part time and was able to continue pumping. i actaully pumped for seven months. i stopped only because i got pregnant at 6 months. i have had my far share of problems with my 4 week old but things seem to be going better now. i wish you all the best and try to hang in there it does seem to get easier.

I knowwwww how you feel and I wanted to kick and scream when people would tell me that it gets easier and I just wanted to give up and almost felt resentful at times I was having such issues..... butttttt as much as i hate to say it there will be a turning point and all of a sudden it will get much easier and you will be able to look down at your sweet baby and feel proud of all your hard work! Try and hang in there I know its rough and really no one talks about it that much!

First off

When I logged on and started reading the problems you are having, my husband was sitting next to me reading your post too. Immediately he said, "boy she had the Exact same problems as you did". It gets better...I promise. My LO is now almost 14 weeks. Like I said on here a few times, for the first 5 weeks we didn't knew he had reflux. All he did, literally, was cry, eat, cry, eat, etc... BFing was a challenge, since I have flat nips too and used the shield as well. My nips bled so much my son nursed on what looked like Strawberry milk in the shields. It hurts so bad to nurse that I cried at each 30 minute feeding.

Please don't give up. The weeks go by so fast. I will tell you after about 4 weeks it stats getting easier and easier. You will be so happy you were stubborn and stuck with it. Everyone on here will listen and help you thru the hard days. I am so thankful for this forum

At the risk of repeating the other moms... I like you were about to give up at the 3 or 4 week marker. I never thought I would make it and now that my so is 8 weeks I find it to be easy! I think for me it started to get easy at like 5 or 6 weeks.

Nights were the worst because your milk flow is really low... so what I did (and it might not be what is right, but it was the right thing fo me) was pump during the day enough for night time feedings. So when my LO woke up at night I just got the bottle ready. Made my life so much better. Then at like 5 or 6 weeks my milk flow at night was much better and I stopped pumping. I only just started to pump again because my son got his shots and I can take him out. I"m not comfterble with feeding him in public, but that's just me.

Hang in there and GOOD LUCK

If you have to use your shield then go ahead and do it!! My daughter is 11 weeks old and we still have to use it sometimes!

We had a hard time breastfeeding the first few weeks but it does get easier.
    Proud Mom to Natalie Morgan! Born 10-29-07
    **WE'VE MADE IT BEYOND 6 MONTHS BFING!!!

Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement! I have decided to just keep trying, taking it one feeding at a time. Plus my doctor prescribed Dr. Jack Newman's All Purpose Nipple Ointment and it seems to be helping the thrush - yay!