Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Help

Default Need Help

Hi I am a new member and absolutely desperate for help. My daughter is nearly 4 months old and I was exclusively breastfeeding her for the first 3 months until I became very ill. I was extremely sick for about 8 days and just couldn't face breastfeeding, which I now completly regret. My supply dimished drastically to the point where I must give her mainly formula. I have been pumping after each feeding to try and build my supply back up but it doesn't seem to be working. I am in tears over this, I read that there is a drug that may increase breast milk supply but it would have to be a last resort as it is so unnatural. I need help, are ther any other ways to increase supply.
    Thanks

Default Re: Need Help

Water, rest, fenugreek, oatmeal (I eat steelcut, and have grown to love it), and a tincture called More Milk Plus.

But the best thing--the most effective thing--is to get DD to nurse, nurse, nurse. I've read that it's frequency, not length of time on the breast, that stimulates milk production. Maybe you can put DD on the breast for a few minutes every hour or two (even if she's just comfort-sucking), and that will probably help.

There are nursing books (my favorite is The Nursing Mother's Companion), that have chapters dealing with relactation. Try a search here as well on that term. I don't know if it has its own area. Good luck!

Start by nursing, nursing, nursing. Every chance you get, nursing.

here's info on the medication to help your supply:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...actagogue.html

I hope you don't need to use it and other methods will work.