Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sns

Default Re: Sns

Quote Originally Posted by darleen
    The problem is that he likes the fast flow and gets frustrated w/ the breast. I don't know how to fix that.
    How is he supplemented now? I may have some suggestions to help with this!

I hope this isn't advice you've already gotten as it might help. i completely feel for you. I went through h-e- double hockeysticks getting my daughter to nurse well it was horrible until she was about 3 months. I completely understand the desire to do this. I was consumed to get it right! it was as if I needed to prove my womanliness by breastfeeding successfully which is silly because that has no bearing on you as a woman.

anyway, my suggestion was this: have you tried switch nursing? its where you let him eat on one side until he starts to get disinterested, ie: pulling off, flutter-sucking, etc. you then switch sides and continue on the other side until he loses interest and then go back to the original breast. its usually enough time for him to get that "burst" of flow from let down and that might keep him interested longer. this worked with my daughter who had the same problems you are descibing. also, I would "prime the pump" so to speak by hand expressing a little before latching to get the flow started, so she would get an instant reward, and then I would do breast compressions the entire time she ate. i really hope this helps. I have SO been there where you are and I promise you, you CAN do this!! There are only a small number of women in the world that truly can't breastfeed, so your chances are more than good htat you will succeed if you believe you can. Prayers you way they are coming!!

Sarah

To LLLJolie:
    I am currently fingerfeeding him, which I guess is slower than a bottle, but faster than actual breast. If you have any suggestions I'd LOVE to hear them!!!
    To Coastieowife:
    Thanks SO much for your support. It is priceless! I have tried switch nursing-it's actually the only way I could keep him awake when he was very little, before we supplemented. I also do sqeeze the breast each time for encouragement. This afternoon, he suckled the left breast (the one that produces more) for 15 mins, and it really seemed as though he was interested and getting something! However, he still needed to be supplemented. I do think I get a little obsessive about this, but I really want it to happen. I think you are definately right that it becomes a bigger issue when I feel like such a failure. I do try to chill out a little. It's funny that you said your daughter got it by 3 months- that seems to be the magic number. I'd be happy to go like this for 3 more weeks! Again, thank you both so much for your help and support!!!!!!

I had the same problem with my son latching on when he was younger. We actually had to take breast milk I had pumped into a bottle and a little baby spoon and we would get his mouth open to feed and put my nipple right in from of him and dump the spoon filled with pumped milk all over my nipple and into his mouth and then he would latch really good. Of course we had to do this a couple of times at first, but it worked eventually!!! He is now a 12 week old with no latching issues at all!!! Hope that will help someone!

oh was gonna say, do you hold the bottle or whatever it is you are using with the finger feeder above the baby's head or do you keep it down? try to keep it below the baby's head so the baby can control the flow...I had to use the finger feeded and believe me I wanted to have a "lets-all-burn-the-finger-feeder" party when I stopped needing it. I had t slowly wean her from formula supplementation, but once I did, everything was all honkey dorey! hwo are things today? any better? each day is one more day closer to getting everything the way you want it!

Hi,
    Things have actually improved. I can now get him to nurse longer, but he still needs supplementation each time. We are going out of town for a week and I hope this doesn't mess things up. I'm talking the hospital pump w/ me but won't be able to pump for 6 or more hours while flying, so I hope a few times like that in a week won't be disasterous. I really wonder if my supply is low, since now he'll suckle for a while and not seem full. I ordered the domperidone, but that won't come until we're back in town. I am VERY encouraged about his new attitude. I hope he can keep it up for a week.
    Alishabailey, I'll try that trick if he won't latch on. I usually try to express a little first, and that usually helps. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Coastie, I do hold it below his head. In fact, what I've started to do was to pinch the tube a little so flow is slower and harder to get. As soon I started to do that, he nursed better. It could be a coincidence, who knows? I can't WAIT to get rid of the finger feeder. I will need some kind of bottle though for when I return to work. I ordered one from the internet that the LC uses w/ her kids that looks like a breast and has variable flow.
    Please keep up the encouragement! Thanks!