Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feedings too short??

Default Feedings too short??

My 5 month old used to only nurse from one breast at each feeding, for about 10 minutes. In the last few weeks he's switched to wanting both breasts, but he only nurses for about 2 minutes on each breast. Is that long enough for him to be getting all that good hind milk?? I'm concerned he's not getting enough.

Anyone else have a super fast nurser like that?
    First time Mommy to Alexander - Born Jan 15, 2006

Default Re: Feedings too short??

great, your baby is a fast nurser.
    If he's producing enough wet and poopy diapers, then no worries.
    if he eats on demand, then he'll get enough.

i have a similar issue with my 6 mo old. he nurses only on one side per feed and only for 5 min. occasionally he might go up to 10 min. i've given up worrying about this. as they say, as long as he pees and poops fine, i'm ok. i do get concerned about whether he's getting hindmilk....

My daughter is the same way- she goes right at it as soon as she's latched on, and fills herself in about 10 minutes!!! She's gaining like crazy, and is 4 months old, so I think that she's just a greedy nurser!!!

me too. i was about to post as i was worriedas my hv said my ds would not be getting enough hindmilk. he feeds for ten mins on one side per feed and feeds every 2 hours stll. ds is 11 weeks + 3 days. he poops every 2 days and wees lots. at his 10 week weigh in he was 13 lb 11oz so is gaining really well!

As babies get older they learn to be really efficient nursers. Some can actually drain a breast in less than 5 minutes. I wouldn't worry unless baby isn't gaining weight or producing good diaper output.

It worries me, too, but DD seems to be happy, well fed and gaining weight.

Same here, dd latches and is done in under 10 minutes. She's 4.5 months old and too busy looking around to dilly dally with feeding anymore. She nurses when she wants and is doing fine and gaining great. 14 lbs at 4 month check up