Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sns

Default Sns

My baby who was formerly addicted to the bottle now seems addicted to finger feeding! I was really trying to get him back on the breast, and thought things were going well, then he totally backtracked today and hates the breast again. I've tried using the SNS many times but have been extrememly unsuccessful. I'm thinking this may be my last shot.
    Does anyone have any tips on making him like the breast again (I've tried Kangeroo care, hand expressing so there's milk on the nipple, bathing w/ him, which he HATED, massaging the breast, offering it to him while sleepy, sleeping w/ him, etc.) NOthing worked.
    Also, any tips on using the SNS would be great. I can never get a good latch w/ it and he seems to really hate it. (I guess b/c he hates the breast so much.)
    By the way, he's nine weeks old. I'm really worried this will never work out for us.
    Please help,
    Darleen

Default Re: Sns

My friend's DS had a hard time latching and they used a nipple shield. Once his latch was good with that, she had him go cold turkey--no milk or formula unless he was latched well on the breast. It took about 2 days (they must have been so difficult!) until he got the message. They've had no problems since. DB's weight gain needs to be good if you do this, and definitely talk with your ped or an LC beforehand.

I used an SNS with DB for about 3wks, then he weaned onto a nipple shield and weaned himself off of that in about 2mo (granted, I probably didn't give him enough "practice" nursing from the breast directly or he might have made the transition sooner).

Thanks for your help. I tried a nipple shield in the LC's office and he hated that. I think the issue for him is flow, so I think a SNS would be good, but I have been terribly unsuccessful w/ it. It's just really hard for me to do, and meanwhile he's screaming his head off and pulling at the little tube.

Darlene, Sorry to hear your little one took a step back. Are things any better today? Was today the day you were going to see your LC? Did she have any new advice?

Sorry it took so long for me to respond. I've had trouble accessing this site. Basically, she said things were looking better, but we still ave a ways to go. The nurse in was a flop. He still needed to be supplemented. She said my supply may be a little low b/c I never really est it in the beginnning and have been more or less exclusively pumping, so I'm trying Domperidone. Honestly, at this point, I'd be happy if I could just feed him 100% breastmilk. He does suckle, though, which gives me some hope. She said not to bother w/ the SNS since we never got the hang of it. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for asking!

I had a really difficult time with the SNS. I don't know if you are trying that anymore, but I actually had my husband help me when he could. It really takes 3-4 hands! Also, if you can get a latch for a minute or two, you can slide the tube in the corner of the baby's mouth. I found that a little easier than taping and trying to get a latch with the tube.

My heart goes out to you, I know how difficult it is to supplement and to finger feed.

My daughter was able to nurse, finger feed, and drink from a bottle. We never had any nipple confusion issues. You might try giving a little in the bottle until the baby's calm and then breastfeeding. That worked for us, but the book 'Defining your own success' advises supplementation only after bfing.

Just wanted to give you a little encouragement. We only finger-fed for a few days, but we had other latching issues that lasted several months. Don't feel like a failure just because it's been nine weeks (I totally remember feeling like a "failure" at 3 months, still)! Hang in there!

Thank you both so much for responding! I can't tell you how many people don't understand why I keep trying. I think I'm going to try to see a new LC just to see if she has any fresh ideas. The problem is that he likes the fast flow and gets frustrated w/ the breast. I don't know how to fix that. He will usually nurse for a minute or two at first, which is a big improvement overa few weeks ago when he would not even consider it. I often try to get him back on when he's done eating, although he's usually sleepy by then. I am not trying to use the SNS anymore b/c I REALLY can't do it. He screams and pulls the cord off whenever we try. I wish we could, though, b/c at least he'd be back at the breast.
    Thanks again. I really, really need the encouragement!

I totally understand what you're saying with the SNS. They make it look so easy in the videos. What a joke!

Enough about that though. I remember that my daughter had some latch issues where she didn't want to nurse. I will never forget one night while trying to get a latch with the SNS. She let out a scream of frustration that I had never heard before. I had no idea babies even made sounds like that! We finally resorted to bottles and pacifiers . Not what I had planned at all. I pumped to give her as much breast milk as possible.

Then for some unknown reason, the issues resolved and she was happy to breast feed for comfort or when she wasn't really really hungry. My nipples healed and all of a sudden she got the latch right... so you might just have that happen to you too. Just keep offering to bf and try not to get frustrated.

Actually I think one key element in her being able to bf was when I got over the disappointment of formula and didn't depend on breast milk as her only source of nutrition.

I just remembered this too, I used Preemie flow nipples and Dr. Brown's bottles. (the only bottles that offer Preemie flow) I bought the nipples new off of Ebay. It scared me the first time I gave Kirsten a bottle and she gagged. Maybe preemie nipples can help your baby adjust to a lighter flow?
    Last edited by britebow; July 1st, 2006 at 07:23 PM.

I know the scream you're talking about. In fact, that's the noise that made me decide I would quit using it. He seemed to recognize it by sight. Another LC that I just talked to recommended using that WITH a nipple sheild- I can't imagine it. I am very close to acceptance of bottles and formula and have thought that if I could just chill out and accept it, he prob would just latch on. Who knows? He seems to be more into the breast today, though, and has suckled for longer. In fact, last night I managed to skip a supplement and pump b/c he nursed for about 15 mins and seemed ok. He then woke up at his usual time no hunrgier than usual.