Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much time?

Default How much time?

Hi,

My baby is 2 weeks old. When I was engorged he would feed half hour on one side and ten minutes on the other typically.

Now he seems to be taking only 15 minutes on one side and then about five on the other (Im not engorged anymore) Is twenty minutes enough? Is that average? He feeds about 20 min. for 8-9 times a day and is doing well with weight and poops. I waas just looking for others peoples experiences. Thanks so much!!! First time breastfeeder in my family....Karen

Default Re: How much time?

congratulations on your LO and on deciding to nurse.
    Babies vary on the amount of time it takes for them to eat. You should look more at how much they're getting, not how long it takes them.
    How many wet diapers does your LO have? He should have at least 5-6 wet diapers within a 24 hour period.
    Some other information that may help:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html
    http://llli.org/FAQ/enough.html
    Mellie
    mama to
    DS June 2007
    DD1 April 2009
    DD2 April 2011

Another thing to keep in mind is that engorment is more than just milk. It is blood and lymph, too, so you aren't just talking about a change in milk volume. Everything sounds good! Trust your lo to know how much he needs.

Babies get more efficent as they get older. DS started of nursing for and hour and is now down to 10-15 min total (both sides) as long as you are getting at least 6 wet diapers a day everything is fine.
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

Rest assured your baby is probably getting enough to eat...case in point...my four week old has hardly ever nursed for longer than 10-15 min total a feeding since she was born. I was worried she might not be getting enough but she had her one month checkup today and she was in the 90% in weight. As long as she seems content after each feeding and she is having enough dirty and wet diapers dont worry so much about how she is feeding for. That's what ive learned.