Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Domperidone, Reglan, not enough milk?

Default Domperidone, Reglan, not enough milk?

I am not sure if I have enough milk or not. How can I tell for sure? In the past - the breast consultant said I did not have enough (based on pre and post feeding weigh ins) and tried to get me supplementing - due to poor baby weight gain. Julie Blue is almost 6 months old. She weighed 9.7 at birth, lost the normal 1 pound shortly after and now weighs only 13 pounds - Not even a four pound increase since birth! Fortunately, she is lively, has grown from 18" to 25" in length, is extremely aware, sitting up, etc. A few weeks ago I started giving small amounts of food as a supplement - rather than resort to the home-made baby formula we created. I still supplement with the formula - about 4 ounces a day.
    I am frustrated because she is often frustrated in trying to eat - the flow is too slow, seems to not be enough - she gets mad! I feel bad when she finally falls asleep at the breast thinking she should have more. What about domperidone? Why is it off the market for breastfeeding? Bad reaction? Reglan seems to receive a less enthusiastic response - true? I have tried pumping with industrial rental, more milk, milk tea, brewers yeast tablets, increased nursing, night nursing, rest, etc. Julie Blue goes to work with me 25 hours a week. I hoped to nurse the first year.......

Default Re: Domperidone, Reglan, not enough milk?

Hi,

I am so sorry you are struggling with supply. I have also had problems. My son is the same age and weighed about 13 lbs. at his last check. My doctor said he is not concerned though because my son is consistently gaining, is happy, meeting milestones, etc.

I have used both Reglan and Domperidone. I did not see an increase with Reglan, but I DID with domperidone. Domperidone is not "off the market" for breastfeeding. It is just not available in the US. It is commonly prescribed in Canada. I ordered it from Global Drug on the Internet.

http://www.globaldrug.tv/product.asp?ProdID=1001&CtgID=
    Last edited by jentut; June 26th, 2006 at 07:38 PM.

Here's some info on diagnosing and fixing a low supply:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

Domperidone is one medication that can help some people. Here's more info:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...actagogue.html

Is Domperidone safe? Is global drug a reputable co? I'm really thinking about doing this but am a little nervous.

I am a little nervous too, but think I will go ahead with the Domperidone. One thing I am nervous about is too much milk! I have heard that can be equally difficult for baby.
    Everything I have read so far points to Domperidone as being more effective than Reglan. I have read it takes 48 hours for some and that others have to stay on the medication the entire time they breastfeed. Wondering about other's experience. Obviously it is not good to take drugs for any extended period of time - so I am hoping for the 1 week turn around. Otherwise, I am not sure I would keep it up.

How many times per day do you nurse your little one? That is really the KEY to upping your supply. All the drugs and herbs won't make any difference if you aren't nursing enough (goal 8-12 times in 24 hours).

I nurse him 6-8 x a day, but that's mostly through finger feeding b/c he gets so frustrated at the breast. I've been mostly pumping for the past 6 weeks b/c the dr said to supplement at 3 weeks b/c he wasn't gaining. I think my supply went down even further b/c he stopped nursing. He was getting frustrated early on so I think I do have a problem. I pump after every feeding w/ a hospital pump and have done EVERYTHING else. I hate giving him formula!