Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: So many mistakes...

Default So many mistakes...

This is my first post, inspired to write after reading so many wonderful things in this forum

My LO is 15 weeks old, he is breastfed and formula fed, about 50/50. I desperately want to increase the amount I breastfeed, ideally to 100%! How do I do this, I fear I have missed the window of opportunity.

How it started:
    -born at 37 weeks; surprise!
    -jaundice, therefore super sleepy for a while
    -horrible start to BF; bleeding, bruising, excruciating pain
    -unaware of latch issues, lost 1lb after birth, advised to supplement
    -have been 'topping up' with formula after every BF since then
    -I am recovering from postpartum depression, almost there
    -husband doesnt support BF, I'm completely on my own with this. I even go to another room to BF.
    -I think LO is starting to prefer the formula bottle..

Am I too late to fix this?

I have tried to simply decrease the formula and increase BF, but he cries until I give in. I really want to do this and hope you have some encouragement and wisdom to share with me. Thank you so very much.

Default Re: So many mistakes...

The fact that he is nursing half the time is GREAT news and you can definitely turn this around and rid your life of formula!

I do not have the experience to lead you, but you can trust that others who do know will be here soon to help!

I have heard of a SNS (supplemental nursing system), but again, have no personal experience. I know it's helped some mothers and some have had a hard time with it.

Check out the induced lactation/relactation forum and search through some of those threads...surely someone has been exactly where you are and that someone is now exclusively breastfeeding.

You can do it!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

You can do it - like the previous poster mentioned.

You've been through quite a bit! You seem determined... thats is half the battle.

I am sorry your husband isn't supproting your choice. Has he talked about why that is? Sometime men feel it is taking away from their position in the family. Maybe we can work on him too

Here is a resource that may help you out. Let us know what you think after reading it.
    Last edited by Number3; January 15th, 2008 at 11:57 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thank you so much! That link is exactly what I need, a step by step guide. I read it, and I know I can do it.

My husband thinks formula is simply easier. He was formula fed and turned out fine...etc He also had a hard time watching me in the beginning, bawl my eyes out at every BF. He doesnt understand my determination, and think it's wasted energy. I'm trying to convert him...

Thanks you guys, really appreciate the feedback! I will start the plan tomorrow morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Brayden Mommy View Post
    Thank you so much! That link is exactly what I need, a step by step guide. I read it, and I know I can do it.

My husband thinks formula is simply easier. He was formula fed and turned out fine...etc He also had a hard time watching me in the beginning, bawl my eyes out at every BF. He doesnt understand my determination, and think it's wasted energy. I'm trying to convert him...

Thanks you guys, really appreciate the feedback! I will start the plan tomorrow morning!
    Fabulous. Let us know how it goes.

As for the hubby... sounds like he might be feeling a little "man-ish" in that they see something they interpret to be a problem and want to fix it asap. Continue to let him know this is something you want and feel strongly about as it is SO beneficial, not only for baby but for mom (and even dad ) (for many reasons) and you ask for his support.

Even let him know a specific way he can support you - that way he feels he is indeed part of the solution

Good luck!
    Last edited by Number3; January 16th, 2008 at 12:19 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Just wanted to say Hi and send many

The first few weeks can be stressful. I found that it got easier after 4 weeks and even easier each day. I learned a great saying on here from some of the Pro-Bfing Moms

Take it one day at a time
    One week at a time
    One month at a time

You can do it!!!!!! You will have ALOT of support on here

For your husband who thinks formula is easier, you might check out the book Breastfeeding Made Simple. In addition to the fact that it's an all around good book, there is a chart in it that shows how it does take more effort to breastfeed for about the first 6 weeks, at which point it becomes the same as ffing, then ffing stays the same while bfing continues to take less effort until it is at a very low level.

Local LLL groups can also be a great source of support if you have one in the area.

First let me start with a ! You seem to be on the right track and can do this. I have a supportive dh but a family that thinks I am crazy so I could imagine how you feel to a certain point. Let him know that this is truly the best gift you could give your child. He would want the safest car seat for him, why not the safest food? Sometimes I think they need it in their terms Good luck!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."