Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cup feeding

Default cup feeding

I've seen the phrase "cup feeding" mentioned and I was just wondering how you do it. Do you use a regular cup, a sippy cup, a specialized cup?

Default Re: cup feeding

Any and all of the above!
    We've used sippy cups, we've used the little yellow plastic 'cups' that are really meant to be the covers for medela bottle nipples (these were DS's first cups; worked GREAT and he loved them! His next favorite was the 'the first years' sippy cups; now he likes to drink from any cup or glass we're using - with our help, of course). It's basically a "try several things and see what works for you and baby"!
    I'm sure other folks will chime in with what has worked for them.
    Jsmom

We've done quite the experimentation, too. My DH and I are never without water bottles ourselves and so DD has been trying to drink from [U]our[U] cups (using straws or sport top) since she was about 4 mo. old. She is finally mastering the more traditional sippy cup. She didn't like the AVENT magic cup at all, which surprised me since those are the bottles we use, but she does well with the Gerber trainer (with the handles) and just started doing well with the Playtex and first years cups. The cups with the straws are still her favorite. My advice is experiment a lot.

I use the little medicine cup that comes with Tylenol or Triaminic to supplement my baby. You can buy little cups that are softer made just for infant supplementaion, but my pediatrician said the medicine cup or even a dixie cup work just as well. I was told to only fill it half full and I think this has helped so we don;t have much spillage. I also like the medicine cup because it is clear and I can see what he is doing.

The baby does not drink out of the cup like we do, they "lap"up the milk. Here is an article that explains how to do it (near the bottom) http://www.breastfeeding.org/articles/cup.html

You may see "cup feeding" used in different contexts. When referring to very young babies, its most often used to name a feeding method that can be used instead of bottles when feeding directly from the breast isn't an option (i.e. baby not latching, need to give a supplement, etc.). There are various types of cups that can be used for this. From what I understand, small, flexible, plastic cups work the best. There are feeding cups made for infants specifically for this purpose. One of them I think is called a Foley cup, and also believe there are other brands of feeding cups. With a little bit older babies many mothers will introduce a cup either just as a next developmental step, or to use in place of a bottle when mom is away, or things like that. I think in that situation more often sippy cups are used, although open cups, water bottles, etc. are all options as well.

whenis a god tiem to introduce cup
    our son is in 7 th month.i gave him sippy cup
    we are still practising with him
    he now bitesit
    hoping he will learn to suck from it soon
    any tips
    thx

Thanks for all the info, everyone! Mommyof4, that was a good website.

try offering the sippy cup at each meal. even if your bb just plays with it at first at least she will become familar with it. also, at meal time, drink your beverage out of the sippy to demonstrate how to use the cup. it can take awhile before they get it. dd would drink from the cup if i held it up for her, probably by the second week. but it took about two months for her to pick up the cup and drink by herself. now she is a pro! it is so funny to watch her eat a cheerio and then take a big swig of water. what a big girl she's become!