Default Re: Suggestions please

My LC said 4 weeks

Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

If you have no specific reason to introduce a bottle (i.e., going back to work), I would wait until at least 4-6 weeks. Also, there's no reason for you personally to introduce the bottle - let your LO continue to associate you with nursing, and let your DH and other caregivers attempt the bottle.

I will say, as well, that unless you are going to have a planned absence like returning to work, there is absolutely no reason why your LO needs to be able to take a bottle. Apart from some ill-advised supplementation in the week after DS was born, he has never had a bottle, and we never missed it. Remember that they don't always eat every hour like they do when they're so little! Before you know it, those feedings will be spaced out and you'll have a few hours after feeding where you won't be "on tap"
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.

I just wanted to say real quickly that nipple confusion can be a real issue for some babies, but not everyone. It was part of some major problems we had in the begining. It probably is wise to wait as long as you can. Your LO isnt going to got hungry. If you are not around, and the only option is a bottle they will take it if they are really hungry.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

With Eszter, our pediatrician suggested 6 weeks, as I was going back to work at 8 weeks. She had no problems at all. With the twins, we used a cup to supplement for about a week when they were a few weeks old. We've never really tried bottles. I can leave for a few hours at a time if I nurse them right before I go. They do just fine.
    The choice is yours how you want to handle this, but 3 weeks isn't necessary. Give your sweet one plenty of time to learn to nurse effectively first.
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

I introd a bottle right away with dd bc of slow weight gain and latch issues . . .awful idea! She never did get it and I had to exclusively pump for her. With ds, we were NOT going that route! We waited til 5 weeks adn tried. He would have NO part of it. but we kept trying here and there for a few weeks (dh or others offering) Eventually he did take it and now has an occasional bottle with no problems. While it was hard bc we waited, it was way worth it to have no bf problems bc of it!

We started bottles in the hospital because of weight. My son did have problems with getting a good latch, but that was even before the bottles were introduced. He got at least one bottle a day because I wanted to make sure he could switch back and forth easily. Unfortunately, one day I was too lazy to do the bottle and from that day on, he has refused bottles. (he was about 7 weeks at the time and he is now almost 10 months). I heard that between 5 and 8 weeks is the most crucial time to do bottles otherwise they will refuse - of course that's not all babies. If you want the baby to take bottles, make sure you do it very regularly (I believe it was a nurse that told me 3 times a day, which seemed extreme to me, but I think once a day would be ok) so that they don't refuse. Every baby is different. I would just not wait too long so that the baby refuses to switch. Nipple confusion is real, but I would say that it seems most babies can switch back and forth without a problem. Good luck!!
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

my son is 9 mths and still will not take a bottle from me!! I waited to introd. the bottle around 6 weeks because I too was afraid of nipple confusion. Luckily we never had any confusion but, a friend of mine introd. the bottle right away (her baby is 9 mths also) and had so many problems that a LLI leader recommended she feed with a dropper for 24 hours and start over. They are now using formula. I guess what I am trying to say is wait as long as you can if there is no reason to use the bottle. In the grand scheme of things the bf years go by fast and you should savor every moment and enjoy it!!

Our ped and everyone else said to do it at 2 weeks however I really thought that was too early and I waited till 6 weeks. He was fine and has always taken both with no problem!