Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions please

Default Suggestions please

For those experienced in motherhood, about when would be a good time to introduce a bottle? My mother-in-law is surprised that we haven't done it yet, but my DD is only 3 weeks old. I know if I want to go somewhere for longer than an hour or so and have my DH feed her, I need to have some breastmilk in a bottle; but I'm afraid of her getting nipple confusion. I don't want to start too early. Thanks for any advice!
    Last edited by violetsmama; January 15th, 2008 at 08:10 PM.

Default Re: Suggestions please

If it were on any ones elses suggestion, I wouldn't do it. I take my babes where I go - so thats not an issue for me/us.

But if there were a work situation or something similar in that it would have to be done. I wouldn't do a bottle at all and wait until baby is >6 mo and just go to a cup. More can be found at this resource.

JMO (just my opinion )

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

2-4 weeks old is a good time to introduce a bottle. Dont wait to long as they will get to used to the breast. If you want your lo to drink from a bottle you should give her one with regularity.. like 1-2 times a week at least.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

My ped said two weeks. She was good at reading babies and felt I should do it soon. I followed her instructions and never got her to take a bottle. Tried at two weeks, four weeks, two months.... She thought pacifiers were dumb too. Didn't matter for us though. It just made me more sure that I wasn't going back to work. I think if I had, though, she would have figured it out.

When you introduce a bottle, have someone else do it. You be the breastfeeder. This will help avoid rejection and probably, to some degree, nipple confusion as well. If you don't need to introduce a bottle, don't feel like you should. We were OK without it.. I just never left her for more than two hours when she was really tiny and then four hours when she was older. And suddenly she was using straws and eating cheerios.

We didn't know either, and waited until six weeks. She is now four months and still won't take a bottle from me or Dad. However, that said, when we leave her with good friends for a few hours, she takes a bottle from them when she's hungry. As my friends say, babies won't starve themselves; if they're hungry, they'll eat.

we have been doing both from the beginning...no problems!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

I read in one of my baby books when LO was young NOT to introduce the bottle any earlier than 6 weeks. 7-8 wks is the best time. Basically you do not want to do it too early nor too late. I think I followed what the book said if memory serves and tried right at 7 weeks. My DH gave him his first bottle of EBM, he took to it no problem. I did not give LO one til well after a year old...never needed to!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Quote Originally Posted by jlk51496 View Post
    we have been doing both from the beginning...no problems!!
    because of necessity, we were doing exactly this. my lo had latch issues form the beginning, tried supplemental nursing system, finger feeding, and in teh end a bottle with a gerber nuk stage one nipple ( they are HUGE) taught her to open her mouth well enough.

while i was sad to have to to resort to that so early, i believe for us it was the right choice and never had a problem with her taking a bottle when i was away or wanted to get a little sleep or was madly pumping etc...

at about 6 mos we switched her to a sippy cup for water and juice ( but her milk always had to be in the bottle , unless it came straight from the tap...)

now she is 21 mos, but has been drinking out of sippy and regular glasses for months now.

i think for the next one, we will introduce a bottle of ebm within the first few weeks, with or without the breastfeeding issues ( hopefully without

but that is just us
    good luck
    meohmy

I've read that it should NOT be done before 4 weeks. We introduced a bottle to both daughters at 6 weeks since I had to go back to work at 8 weeks postpartum.

Just a side note- If your LO doesn't take to a bottle easily, try several different nipples (rubber and silicone). My nephews would ONLY take the rubber ones. Fortunately, both my daughters adjusted very quickly and never fussed over which nipple we were using.

Also, as PP mentioned, it might be best to offer a bottle 1-2x's/week even if you're not gone. That's what I've heard...
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

I read somewhere that paci's and bottles shouldn't be introduced until after 6 weeks to avoid nipple confusion. My LO has used the Soothie paci's since the hospital and it hasn't interfered with BF. As for a bottle, I only tried it once, but got paranoid that he wouldn't want to BF any more, so I haven't tried it since. For me and my LO, we're going to steer clear of the bottles as long as possible. I've gotten comfortable with feeding him in the car or in fitting rooms when we're out.
    Stephanie (23) Married to Troy (22) since August 2003
    Just welcomed our first baby into the world
    Our son, Caden Wesley born 10-10-07 at 1:00 AM via emergency c-section
    8 lbs 15 oz 19 1/2 in

SAHM

10-13---8 lbs 3 oz
    10-16---8 lbs 12 oz 20 3/4 in
    10-26---9 lbs 8 oz 21 1/2 in
    12-14---12 lbs 15 oz 24 in
    02-12---15 lbs 12 oz 25 1/2 in
    04-15---18lbs 6 oz 27in