Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update :)

Default Update :)

Hayden is now 5 lbs 7 oz. He's in an open crib and is off all medications (still taking iron and will come home on it.) He eats well at all of his feeds although feeding at the breast is still a little difficult with us. Encouragement please!!! He'll be home soon

Default Re: Update :)

Thats so terrific! How wonderful to have that cutie-patootie home!

Your doing great! LEt us know how it goes at home. I am happy for you!

Do you have lactation support at the hospital?

What can we do to support you?

Quote Originally Posted by piratetink824 View Post
    Hayden is now 5 lbs 7 oz. He's in an open crib and is off all medications (still taking iron and will come home on it.) He eats well at all of his feeds although feeding at the breast is still a little difficult with us. Encouragement please!!! He'll be home soon

That's terrific news! Just get him home and keep him skin-to-skin with you as much as possible; he'll take off re: breastfeeding when he's ready. In the meantime, keep pumping with a rental pump so your production is ready when his mouth is! (It's not unusual for it to take some time for a premie to transition to direct breastfeeding -- often occurs in sprurts of progress.)

Keep in touch with breastfeeding support persons -- us, a local La Leche League leader, a lactation consultant, etc.

All the best. Can't wait to hear updates!

Congratulations! How exciting to be with your baby without worrying about him getting too cold I have been reading your posts and have been cheering for you all along though I haven’t posted my message until now.

My daughter Penga was in NICU for 119 days but now she is with us and is nursing exclusively (except for one feeding which she get her multi-vitamin and iron with EBM, followed by nursing.) Like Karen Gromada said to me when we are just learning how to breastfeed together, patience, practice, and persistence really does pay off. Keep trying him on your breast, keeping up with Kangaroo, being sensitive to his needs and follow his lead, and remember, if you have a bad day nursing, the next day is a brand-new day. I am so proud of you to have come so far, especially working with your medical team so you can breastfeed. You can do it!

Looking forward to another update
    - - - Penga (@ 32 weeks gestational) and my DH

Mother of two girls:
    Sydney (born 10/31/01- nursed until 3 yrs & 10 mos)
    Penga (born 08/15/07 - former 25 weeker who loves to nurse)

& no more!

Well...they're saying that next week I can take him home! They say Wednesday or Thursday. He's 5 lbs 7 oz!

That is soon mama! Very very soon!

I am so nervous about feeding him at home though!!! I'm worried about him getting enough. At the hospital he's on a really strict schedule. He eats 2 oz every 3 hours and I would like to try a more relaxed approach. However at the hospital they monitor his weight gain, vital stats, etc every day and I love the reassurance. That and I feel like I'm not that "good" at breastfeeding yet lol. I'm such a newbie.

Great news that he will be home soon

I also was unsure about breastfeeding on demand at home. What helped us was weight check every couple of days (We were lucky our insurance covers nurse visits) and also visit our hospital's lactation clinic for weight check and test weight. I also talked with our lactation consultant on the phone frequently.

Could you arrange working with lactation consultant within 2 days after discharge? That was a recommendation of our NICU lactation consultant.

Also please don't panic like I did if Hayden's nursing behavior change right after discharge. My Penga refused to nurse during the first week post NICU. I got lots of supports here, and it was just that Penga was adjusting to her life outside of NICU.
    - - - Penga (@ 32 weeks gestational) and my DH

Mother of two girls:
    Sydney (born 10/31/01- nursed until 3 yrs & 10 mos)
    Penga (born 08/15/07 - former 25 weeker who loves to nurse)

& no more!