Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: thinking of starting a little early...

Default thinking of starting a little early...

DS will be five months this week. He's definately been showing interest in table food, especially since we got him a high chair and made a point of including him around the dinner table. He's sometimes fascinated with everything that goes into my mouth. We've also been letting him sniff at foods for some time to learn new smells and he's recently started grabbing at some of it. He also sits up well in his high chair.

My mother is convinced he should have started cereal by now (of course ) and we're going to visit them next week for a while. I'm tempted to let him start on cereal down there with her. Partly because he's starting to seem ready and partly so she can have a "first" experience with him. And partly because I look forward to her reaction to the mess! hee hee!

DH and are I thinking the same way and the ped thinks it's fine for him to start. We also figure that it's only the littlest bit of cereal anyway in the beginning, and it's not even for nutrition at this point, it's only about learning how to swallow. So why not?

My only concern is the severe and unusual engorgement problems I've had at night. After months of this, it seems to be getting better and the ped did mention that introducing solids may make it worse. However, he only eats the tiniest bit of cereal in the beginning, right? And won't I give him that after I nurse him anyway?

Default Re: thinking of starting a little early...

My daughter is 4 months, and I let her have a bit of cereal at night-she's very food oriented, and wants to grab stuff from me!!! So, it satisfies her curiousity, but doesn't interfere with nursing, since she really only eats a few spoonfulls anyway. And, if you can get mom to clean the mess, I say go for it!!!

I started my son on some cereal at around 5 months. Similar to your situation, he was grabbing at everything I ate and could sit up well in his chair. Our family has no history of allergies, so we decided to give it a try. He absolutely LOVED eating off a spoon and I added veggies pretty quickly after starting cereal. Until he was about 8 or 9 months old, I would ALWAYS nurse him before feeding any solids since the majority of his nutrition still needed to be in the form of breastmilk. At 13 months, he is still nursing and will eat just about anything you offer him. At the moment, his favorite foods are broccoli and baba ganoush.

I'll warn you, you're probably going to get a flurry of responses telling you that the worst thing in the world you can possibly do is to give your child solids before 6 months. I think there are arguments on both sides (especially in families with histories of allergies), but just remember, as a mom, it's ultimately your decision.

i started dd at about this age. she was v. interested in everything i put into my mouth so i thought, why not? it was really just a trial run since she ate such a small amount (maybe 1 tablespoon) for the first 6 weeks or so. she's now 11 months and looking back- i really don't think it hurt her to start a month early. let the baby guide you and you can't go wrong! i just recommend always bfing before you give her solids so your supply won't suffer too much.

solid feeding is an adventure, have fun

thanks for the useful replies! I'm honestly not looking forward to it because of the messes and complications, but I've got to do it some time. As pp said, it's not like it's very much food. I know there are some reasons to wait until 6months, but I can't help thinking that a few spoonfuls of rice cereal is a big deal either way.

I say whatever sounds good for you and your family - go for it.

I would be a little concerned that you spent almost an entire post defending your choice to start cereal - as long as you are not trying to convince yourslef - that would worry me.

LLL is clear that you should not start until they can sit up on their own - not assisted by a high chair - the tongue thrust is gone, and they show interest. So as long as he is meeting those I see no issue.

I am all for cereal and solids - but you almost sound like you are doing it for your mom is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffs_hope
    I am all for cereal and solids - but you almost sound like you are doing it for your mom is all.
    Well I am, a little. She doesn't get to see him often, so I thought it would be nice if she got to share a little "first" with him, especially as it seems to be so important to her. I know some sources want to wait until after 6months, but some say it's OK as early as 4 - so it seems to me that there's no perfect answer. We decided if she really wants to give him a few bites of cereal, it's not going to hurt him. If he doesn't want it, we can stop.

I'm just mulling it over - I don't feel like I'm defending anything.

LLL is clear that you should not start until they can sit up on their own - not assisted by a high chair - the tongue thrust is gone, and they show interest. So as long as he is meeting those I see no issue.
    This.

Although banana or avocado is a good first choice, too. We skipped cereal altogether.

If you're interested in reading what the other side of the argument is, I really like the following link:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

There are a lot of benefits to extending exclusive BFing as long as possible.

Also, while babies showing interest in food is one of the signs of readiness, there is a flip side. Your baby will show an interest in a lot of things (and foods!) down the line that you'll have to use your judgment about as a parent. Wanting to participate in mealtimes is not necessarily equivalent to being ready to eat.
    Last edited by hilde; July 1st, 2006 at 11:03 AM.