Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: umbilical cord

Default umbilical cord

Does anyone know if it is normal for the umbilical cord stump to remain attatched for over four weeks? My lo is just over four weeks old and the cord doesn't really show signs of falling off. I have been putting rubbing alcohol on it at nearly every diaper change. Is there anything else I can do?
    It's a worth while life--and a happy one, too!

Default Re: umbilical cord

is it realy big?
    The doctor left one of mines long and it took a long time for it to fall off..
    if its not infected or red try not to worry too much!

Wyatts cord was on for about 3-1/2 weeks I think. The dr told me that IF it doesnt come off there is stuff they can spray on it in the office to make it dry up faster. I cant remember what is was called though. If you were concerned it would be worth calling your pedi and asking!

YES! My dd2's stayed on over 5 weeks - I couldn't believe it. dd1 lost hers around 2 weeks. DD2's came off fine, though - I wouldn't worry unless it looks irritated or infected.

Amy

My son's stayed on a long time too. I was worried, but I couldn't quite figure what I was worried about lol. I think they just come off when they're ready.

I agree with PP's. As long as it doesn't look infected or otherwise strange, I'm sure it's fine. BTW- I was told with both my daughters that rubbing alcohol doesn't do anything for cleansing/drying it up. It doesn't hurt, it just doesn't help either.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

My dd had umbilical granuloma when she was 5 weeks...it is basically part of the cord that won't come off without some help. They use silver nitrate to coderize it. The main part of hers fell off but there was a little bit left and it was all red. Unless, it is red or looks infected, it is probably fine.
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

Post Re: umbilical cord

beccamomof2: yes! the main part of the cord fell off before two weeks, but this little nub won't dry up. It seems like it is just going to stay there forever! We have a six week app. with the midwives coming up. I think I will see if they can put some quick dry stuff on his belly button. I guess I am not really worried about it. I just thought it was odd. Thanks for all of the replies. Nice to know these things don't only happen to me!
    It's a worth while life--and a happy one, too!