Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: overfeeding baby ebm via bottle?

Default overfeeding baby ebm via bottle?

OK, I know I've read over and over again that you cannot overfeed a breastfed baby, but does that still apply when feeding ebm using a bottle?

Here is the situation...

My dd was born 4-5-6 and has been ebf since then. At birth, she weighed 5lb 13oz. At her 2 month ped appt, she was up to 9lb 11oz. Obviously, she is gaining well... She has always eaten every 1 1/2 - 2 hrs during the day and 2-4 hours during the night.

During her first 6 weeks, I had mastitis twice. After taking the advice of my obstetrician and pumping after every feeding session, I created quite an oversupply issue. So, since then, we have been block feeding or eating on only one side per session. The supply seems to have evened out. She is content after eating, has plenty of wet and dirty diapers, etc.

Well, I had to return to work Friday. I work 12 hour shifts as an RN on a very busy unit at a hospital. I was able to pump about 17-18 ounces in the time I was at work. The problem is, at the daycare, she ate 20 ounces and another whole 4oz bottle from Dad after he picked her up (and before I got home).

At that rate, I'll never keep up with her! So, here's my question... Is it possible that she'd drink any amount of ebm we offer her in the bottle? She doesn't quit until it's gone. Would it work to try to only put 2 or 3 ounces in the bottles? How do we know when she's really satisfied when she'd eat the whole 4 oz if we let her? I'm just worried that I'll have to supplement because I wasn't able to pump as much as she ate on any of the three days I was at work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

Default Re: overfeeding baby ebm via bottle?

It *is* possible to overfeed with EBM and bottles. We had a very similar situation brewing with our nanny in the early weeks/months and have had it pop back up from time to time. It would not be a bad idea to leave your child care providers with more smaller-volume bottles and to ask that they start with those and see how your DD does. If she seems content enough after one or two small bottles at a feeding, no need to push more. Of course it's important to keep careful count of those wet and poo-filled diapers to make sure things don't drop off! Babies also like to suckle for comfort, as you well know, so staying on that bottle because it's there and full could be very easy for DD to do, even if she doesn't NEED the milk to feel full and content food-wise! Hopefully this is something you can talk with your child care providers about so that they see where you are coming from and start to work with you to read DD's signals. It is very hard to not stress about having enough milk...and really stressful when it seems that you may not have what you want to have for your baby.

Please also take care of you; infections from oversupply are no trivial thing.
    good luck!
    -jsmom

Hi, my situation is very close to yours. I returned to work when ds was 7 weeks old. I too work long shifts- 3 days a week, 2 13 hr shifts and 1 11.5 hr shift. Luke was eating about 32 oz while I was gone-and should have only been taking about 13!!! Plus night nursing all night long. His was a comfort issue. He will not take a paci, and is very comforted by the breast. My sister (also my nanny)has had to find ways to distract/soothe him after the bottle. Also, when he learned to put his thumb in his mouth, that helped tremendously! HTH!
    Jennifer

Thanks for posting this. I'm having the same exact problem today. I only work 4 hour shifts. But add in dropping off and picking up the baby, and that I had to setup a new desk at work, my shift came out to about 6.5 hours. My family fed him 11 ounces, which seems like a lot. I left them with about 4 bags of milk and now there's only one left! So I'm worried about not having enough stock in milk now.

But luckily if I am a bit strict with them to only feed 3 oz. at a time and explain to them that the baby just sometimes wants to suck, I can get some stock back in my freezer. I was luckily able to pump 15 oz. today, so maybe things will work out. Though I do feel insecure without any backup. Keeping my fingers crossed and hope I get tons of sleep to make lots of milk!

thanks everyone! i'll try sending smaller amounts and see how they do!
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

Is there a list somewhere that has an average of how much they should be drinking? DS gets a bottle everynow and then. hes 8 weeks and i give about 3 1/2 oz each time he seems fine with that. but hes been taking this amount in a bottle since he was 2 weeks old!!!
    Also can they over eat at the breast? Chubby over here loves his BM, last we checked at 6 weeks he had gained 4 lbs over his birth weight. but lately hes been puking up very bad after he seems to go on a eating fest for hours straight.