Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 11 month old still refusing all solids

Default 11 month old still refusing all solids

Hey everyone. I'm new here and don't know where else to turn. My 11month old ate oatmeal and purees from 6-7 months old, but at 7 months he started refusing all solids.

He nurses exclusivley still (5 times a day and all night long) He's always been a chunk (almost 10 lbs. at birth) but now he's sliding in the charts. I'm not too worried about his weight gain, but I really want him to start eating solids so I don't have to nurse him 4-5 times a night. I am completly exhausted.

Anyway, he was on Prevacid, for reflux, from 2 weeks to 6 months, but we stopped it b/c I didn't think it was helping. Not sure it his eating issues are related to reflux or not. He had major nursing issues from 4-6 months (would cry, arch head, twist away, etc,) and even now nurses mostly when he's asleep. Has anyone else dealt with this?

He will chew on a biter biscuit and sometimes put small pieces of bread or cheese in his mouth, but he gags and vomits almost every single time. I don't force him w/ solids, but I do try a few times a day.

I've been to a ped G.I., occupational therapist, and his ped, but no one seems to be able to help. I would love any advice!!

Default Re: 11 month old still refusing all solids

this page seams to have some good info...
    http://www.pediatricfeeding.org/medical.htm
    I know there was one mom around who was taking her child to a feeding clinic that realy helped.
    11 months is still very young many babies that age are still nursing alot!

Does he spit up mommas milk?
    so he have other signs of allergies?
    lots of kids with allergies self limit solids!
    does your doctor think putting him back on the reflux meds would help?

I think it might your baby's way of fending off possible allergies! I know it is hard. I have a 5 1/2 month old that feeds still every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. My MIL is convinced that my husband was doing the same thing and he didn't eat solids till he was year old and he is one of the healthiest people I know. He has no allergies, has great control of food amount and self-control, so let your baby take the lead. It will be all over so quick!

I can't help much other than to offer sympathy. My almost 13 month old dd still refuses solids as well. She gags on any new foods, and only reliably eats organic brown rice puffs. These are good because they melt in her mouth before she can gag or choke on them. Our pedi. told us that at 15 months, if she was still gagging, that she would refer us to an occupational therapist. Just hang in there!!

My daughter did a lot of gagging and vomiting at that age as well. She didn't get very good at eating until maybe 15-18 months. We did see an O.T. and she told us that her tongue was not pushing the food to the side for chewing. Pay attention when you eat the next time and you will see that your tongue pushes the food to the side of your mouth right away. She also said that she had a slight aversion to anything textured. Some kids take longer to get used to textures that others. I wouldn't be surprised if the reflux might be his reason also. And I know this sounds like FOREVER...but maybe give him just a few more months. If the O.T. and the ped didn't help....I would seek out another opinion.
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

. I wish I had advice for you but we're almost in the same boat. My nearly 11-mo old eats very little as well. I offer him a lot but he just isn't interested anymore. I'll be reading this thread to see what more mamas have to say...
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by Beccamomof2 View Post
    My daughter did a lot of gagging and vomiting at that age as well. She didn't get very good at eating until maybe 15-18 months. We did see an O.T. and she told us that her tongue was not pushing the food to the side for chewing. Pay attention when you eat the next time and you will see that your tongue pushes the food to the side of your mouth right away. She also said that she had a slight aversion to anything textured. Some kids take longer to get used to textures that others. I wouldn't be surprised if the reflux might be his reason also. And I know this sounds like FOREVER...but maybe give him just a few more months. If the O.T. and the ped didn't help....I would seek out another opinion.
    What did you do to help your daughter eat? My daughter has oral motor problems (particularly with her tongue) and I'm pretty sure they're affecting her ability to eat solids. We saw a speech therapist and were given some exercises to do but they don't seem to help. I know she'll be able to eat eventually but I would rather it be sooner than later.

Hello,

My daughter is 15 months. We have been breastfeeding this entire time. It was not easy at first, but we picked it up and things have been great from there.

I have a bit of a unique situation and have been searching for support from someone who is in the same boat OR who has been there and remembers the details and can share them with me. So far I have been to my local LLL chapter and got a lot of "way to go's and Keep it up!" but no one has been there... Here it is: At 15 months my daughter ONLY breastfeeds. When I say ONLY I mean she refuses any and all solid food. She just in the past few days will drink a pinch of water from a sippy cup and most of that comes spilling out of her mouth. (it's a HUGE step for us though). My dearest child won't drink from a bottle either. So it's straight from the cow or starve! You name it (and I welcome suggestions), I've tried it. She is tiny: 17lbs (way under the 5%). Doctor was not worried at 13 month check up , iron levels are fine. I'm not looking to push food on my daughter, I guess it's just hard to imagine the day that she is going to just pick up something, put it in her mouth, chew and swallow. I am really at a loss. I certainly don't want to force feed her...

Michelle (a.k.a. Moooshell) : )