Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: toddler nursing positions?

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default toddler nursing positions?

We're not quite in the nursing beyond one year category, got a couple of months to go. But I was wondering how you position your toddler when you nurse. DS is getting too big for the cradle hold in some chairs and he seems a bit uncomfortable with it sometimes (he much prefers to be upright anyway!)

Default Re: toddler nursing positions?

Well, I still prefer the cradle, but it only works at bedtime. Other times we start at the cradle and she ends up in a sort of standing position, but still kind of laying down on my lap. we don't usually nurse in front of anyone but daddy so it isn't really an issue.
    She still nurses quietly when we are lying down.

My nearly three year old likes to sit on my lap and watch cartoons *SIGH*

Ahh, nursing a toddler. If DD is sleepy (which is usually when she nurses) then we usually end up lying down, with her laying on top of me. Sometimes she will be "kneeling" on one side and nursing from the opposite breast. That is by far the most comfy position for me.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

We moved from the nursing chair to the couch, so that there's lots of room for laying out as if he were in the cradle position, but he's obviously not really on my lap anymore. This seems to have given him the extra freedom he requires.

We still do the double football hold. Usually I am sitting on the floor so they hang out the back. Otherwise they like to do straddle my legs and lean forward to nurse ( I think it is called straddle saddle).
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

We start out in the cradle position, but from there DD can move to a downward dog position, kneeling, standing, you name it, we've probably been in that position. I have a squirmer. The only time she is still while nursing is when she is tired.

I do have to say that while she is squirming, sometimes in all the activity, her latch changes and we get a bad latch situation and it ends up hurting. And IMHO, the squirming DRIVES ME CRAZY!
    Robin

cradle hold on the couch, or lying down nursing in the bed are the most comfortable for me, but I have a squirmer too, so she's in all sorts of positions. The only time I "insist" she sits still is when we are in public, which isn't very often, or at church in the nursing room so it doesn't really matter.
    Cloth Diapering & Family, SAHMomma to Joel (5/04) and & to Hannah (6/06) and devoted wife to Joel

Ours is a cross between a cradle hold but instead of laying she's more sitting upright in my lap.

Quote Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
    Ahh, nursing a toddler. If DD is sleepy (which is usually when she nurses) then we usually end up lying down, with her laying on top of me. Sometimes she will be "kneeling" on one side and nursing from the opposite breast. That is by far the most comfy position for me.
    Totally.