Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: One is bigger than the other?

Smile One is bigger than the other?

Hi,

My left breast has always been larger slightly than with my right. I have been breastfeeding for 2 weeks my son now and I already notice a much larger difference between the two.

Does this mean that I am not feeding equal time on each side (I believe I am, 20 min on one side, then switch if he wants more) or is that normal for a difference in breast size to look like a larger difference when breastfeeding?

I didnt know if one breast as well was getting more milk? Also, my right nipple is slightly inverted and its painful when I put him on (not during feeding) will this subside soon? Ihave been using my pump to pull it out to help. Any info appreciated. neither of my mom and minlaw bfed so I am going solo here...Karen

Default Re: One is bigger than the other?

That's pretty normal to have a size difference and it's seems common for it to get more exaggerated when nursing (judging by the ladies here, anyway). My right was bigger and I think it did produce more milk, I know I'd get more from it when I was pumping.

If you want to try to even them out you might try starting nursing sessions on the smaller side so that baby nurses longer on that side than the right. It might work, it might not. You might want to wait to do that until you've been nursing longer, I don't know if it might negatively affect your supply at 2 weeks.

If it makes you feel any better, they do go somewhat back to normal. By the time Nora was 1 mine were pretty much back to the same size difference as they were before nursing.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I also always had one bigger breast and the difference was even greater when I started nursing. However, I always seemed to get less milk from the larger breast. I always fed on both sides so that I got the stimulation. My LO would always fall asleep but if I stripped him down or did a diaper change it usually worked.

For the inverted nipple I would pump for a few minutes every few hours and that actually brought it out.

Good luck and know that it gets easier and that you are doing a great job.
    Proud first time Mom and wife at 40 and loving it. Made it BF to 1 year and going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by akramer View Post
    I also always had one bigger breast and the difference was even greater when I started nursing. However, I always seemed to get less milk from the larger breast.
    Me too. My DH even nicknamed them "Big Momma" and "Lil Squirt"