Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm scared now!

Unhappy I'm scared now!

Hi Ladies!
    Pfffff, this is really worrying me.
    I've had some very tender nippels lately. Went to see an IBCLC, too. She was pretty sure it was NOT thrush. My nippels are very, very dry and flaky, but not itchy. She gave me a combo-cream (antibiotic + crotisone... she's a pediatrician as well, so she can give prescription stuff).
    It was much better, but the skin on my nippels never really recovered. It is very thin, pink and so dry it cracks and comes off.
    I have 2 cracks in my left nipple and one crack starting on the right.
    My nursling is 22 1/2 months old and has a very good nursing technique I'd say. It never hurt during a feed, either. But afterwards.....!
    The cracking really started 2 months ago, when I started menstuating again. Could this have something to do with it?
    I'm pretty sure NOT to be pg.

Now I've been reading and came across Paget's disease. And now I'm really scared.

I see the IBCLC again on wednesday... What on earth could it be???

Default Re: I'm scared now!

Maybe it's the hormonal change of menstruating again that is causing it? I found a link of what Paget's disease of the breast looks like as well as benign conditions like contact dermatitis. Hope that helps! I would call your doctor just to be sure and to put your mind at ease.

http://www.breastcare.com/bcc/resear...ts_disease.asp

Thanks Reesa!

What I have looks like some Paget's or contact dermatitis.

The thing is that when wearing a bra, my nipple is pushed in, and gets 'moist'. That's where it's so tender and the cracks are situated.

Still worried, but in less than 24 hours, I'm at the IBCLC. She should be able to at least rule some things out.

Whish me luck...

Hope the Dr gives you the all-clear,
    just one point:
    if wearing a bra makes it worse- simple solution! go bra-free for a day or 2 and see if it helps. (if the thought of being braless is really too much, there are many nice sports "bra" tops. I used to have some nice cheap cotton ones that were REALLY easy for breastfeeding (easier than a nursing bra), and they were even decent to wear as a top on hot beach days.

Hi LadyGodiva,
    Please keep us posted with what you find out at the IBCLC. This sounds like something that really needs to be seen to determine what might be happening. Any condition that can affect the skin can affect your nipples. Do you have any similar conditions any where else?
    I do know of another mother who had regular discomfort/cracking that came & went according to her menstrual cycle.
    I'm sure you're worried about the worst-case scenario. It will be relief to find out what your IBCLC has to say!
    Warmly,
    Mary

Hi Mary!

First of all, it is very soothing to be able to 'talk' about my worries to other ladies ....

Do you have any similar conditions any where else?
    Well, as a matter of fact, I do. On my lips. They crack, bleed... they never seem to heal. Plus the fact that I fiddle with the flaky skin on my lips, that doesn't help, either. And no lip balm really heals them... I've tried heaps, believe me.
    Obviously I don't peel the flaky skin off my poor nipple, but that nipple gets nursed from. So it is challenged.

Oh dear, you must get a very weired picture of me... cracked sore lips, matching nipple... sounds like Frankenstein's ugly sister.

Keep your fingers crossed for me tomorrow!!!

just wondering, have you considered breast shells for a little while? just until your nipples heal? it would keep yopur bra from irritating the nipple. or as was mentioned before, going braless/topless at home?

Hi all!

I just came back from the IBCLC.
    She was really amazed that I could feed the way I did, seeing that the crack goes all the way around the base of my nipple.

She took a sample of some skinflakes and a smear sample of the wounds. She feels that it very much looks like a bacterial infection. Staph or something like that.

She also suggested me to wear breastshells, which I am going to do.
    And she gave me an anti-bacterial cream.
    Friday I will be calling her for the lab results.

When I told the IBCLC about my fear of Paget's, she said that she first wanted to rule out any other possibilities. I think that this is the wisest way to go.

Let's hope this is bacterial and the bacteries are going to co away with the cream I got now.

I'll keep you updated on the results friday. I feel it is always beneficial to share these experiences.

Yes, thanks for the report. I'm glad she cultured it; hopefully the tests will confirm the diagnosis and the anti-bacterial cream will clear it up quickly.

Hang in there!

--Rebecca

oh goodness, I am glad you got someone to check it out though! here's to having painfree nipples soon!!