Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soo many questions from a new mom...

Default Soo many questions from a new mom...

My baby is 5 days old today. She was born by c-section and weighed 5lbs 7oz. When we were in the hospital she was nursed great. The LC there came and helped us and she told me that my baby had a great latch. While we were in the hospital she would nurse on one side anywhere from 10-20 min. Before we left the hospital we found out that her weight had dropped down to 4lbs 13oz, and because of this the pedi there told us that we needed to supplement. So that's what we did. When I got home the first day she nursed just like she did in the hospital, but the 2nd and 3rd day now she doesn't want to have anything to do with the breast. My milk has come in so I thought maybe I was engorged so I have tried pumping for a little bit then try to get her to latch and she won't. I rub my nipple against her lips and she will open her mouth and start to latch, but then she will open her mouth like to yawn but keep it open. Or if she does latch she will only latch on a suck 3-4 times then pull off and cry. I have tried the c-hold to because the LC told me that I have large nipples and my baby has a small mouth. That doesn't even work. I am just really worried that because I am supplementing my baby is not going to want to nurse when I can finally stop supplementing. It is so hard because I know she can do it, and I feel like I am doing something wrong. Maybe I am. Is there something else that I could be doing wrong? So far I try to nurse her, feed her the pumped milk, then formula feed her. What else can I do, or what am I doing wrong? How long will we be able to go like this until she just never nurses again...
    Sorry this is so long. Any help would be great.

Default Re: Soo many questions from a new mom...

My baby is 6 days old today (so I'm no expert), but we were in a similar situation (without the weight-loss). My daughter was an excellent nurser in the hospital but the first day home would not latch on at all. My pedi told me to pump and feed her from a teaspoon. I found out that if I immediatly brought her to the breast after a few teaspoon-fuls she immediately latched. I also have very large breasts and found that compressing them once she latched kept her at the breast instead of just a few sucks.

Now, I just have to try to get her to take both breasts. She goes on day-long strikes against each one

Good luck!

Hi new mamma!
    First of all, you are doing a great job! Those crazy pedi's make me insane because they give all this lip service to breastfeeding in their literature (AAP) but when it comes down to it, they will put a breastfed baby on formula faster than you can blink an eye! This happened with my second. At his week check up he hadn't gained any weight the entire week. He hadn't lost, but he hadn't gained. So the CPNP says give him some formula. I was affronted! I went straight to the LC, she helped me- I pumped and fed him extra in a syringe along with nursing until he started gaining gobs of weight (like 2-3 ozs/day). Well, he was the fattest, squishyist, yummiest baby at 6 months and all with not the first drop of formula. He is 18mos and is 35lbs and 35 inches. Whew! good thing we got that underfeeding problem worked out
    All that to say go back to see the LC, the vast majority of pedi's are formula pushers seems like to me.....

Sounds like a touch of nipple confusion to me....babies can get frustrated because it takes slightly longer to get satisfaction from the breast. A bottle provides immediate satisfaction. A previous post mentioned that she used a syringe to supplement. You could try that. Also, try lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby when trying to nurse. Strip your babe down to the diaper, and take your shirt off. You can wrap a blanket around both of you to keep warm. Some have also had good luck with putting a little breastmilk on the nipple, to entice their little ones to suck from the breast.

Have you tried calling your local LLL leader? You don't have to be a registered member of LLL to call her and get some help. Sometimes, just having a person there with you can really make a difference.

Good luck!

Smile Re: Soo many questions from a new mom...

I agree with the previous post. Skin to Skin contact....feed from a syringe...i did the syringe for 2-3 because I had a few complications after delivery. Try your hardest not to supplement. Even when you start wondering if your baby is getting enough.....Just count the diapers. The LC at the hospital is there for you. Believe me....they know me by name at our hospital. That's what they are there for. Goodluck!!!!

Happily Julianna born 11-28-07 @ 6lbs 2 ozs. 17 1/2 in. and with her dad

2 week ckup:6lbs 13.5 ozs. 19 in

2 month ckup:11lbs. 9 ozs. 23 1/2 in.

4 month ckup:15lbs. 7.5 ozs. 24 3/8 in.

did you have long labor with iv?
    its normal for thoose babies to loose more weight, some of its fluids from the iv..
    are you counting diapars?
    thats the way to know if baby is getting the milk they need.
    How are your nipples fealing?

shes young yet there is much hope you can get her back to the breast only.
    there is some realy good info on this web page
    your following the 1st rule feed the baby
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

I know this is really hard but you need to try to keep her at the breast. It sounds as if you are already dealing with nipple preference and the formula supplementation, doctor advised or not is going to interfere with you ability to produce enough.
    Babies have to work much harder to get milk out of the breast than a bottle. They instinctively do the work at 1st because it's a survival thing. But if they get the idea that they DON'T have to work to eat then they won't. So as soon as possible I suggest a Nurse in. Which is where you take the baby to bed with you for 24-48hours and just stay there skin to skin and feed. All day and all night. It helps if you can have someone else bring you your meals and take the baby to change diapers but if you are alone, those should be the only reasons you leave the bed. Let her FORGET about the bottles. You already know she CAN latch. She just doesn't want to.
    And formula is completely detrimental to your supply. It's completely normal for new babies to lose up to 10% of their birth weight. SO I understand that since your child was small your doctor was possibly concerned, but if your baby was healthy and full term,she was just supposed to be small.
    Everytime you supplement your body is missing AT least one que to feed. You may not think that because you are always putting her to the breast 1st, but the truth of the matter is that formula is harder for infants to digest than Breastmilk and so it takes longer. So while it seems like it "satisfies" for longer, in truth if the formula was not fed, the breastmilk would be absorbed more quickly and almost completely in about 1/2 the time. So in fact your child would be back at your breast stimulating milk production every 1-1.5 hours vs every 2.5 to 4. Which is usually how long formula takes. Focus on losing the supplements completely as soon as possible. I see from your post that you just assume you'll be able to just get the baby back to the breast when you are comfortable with her weight gain. But what more often happens is your supply diminishes because the body isn't getting the correct number of signals and doesn't produce enough. If you are serious about breast feeding, you need to lose the supplements. The sooner you do it the less work it will be for you in the long run.
    Hopefully, because she is so young, you'll be able to just take her to bed and in the next 24-48 hours have her completely back on the breast very soon. Good luck and keep us posted!

Way too lazy for formula

Hi Deer,

Congratulations on your new baby! As others have mentioned, don't give up! One thing to always remember is that even if the baby needs supplementation, it's always best to use your own milk. A cup, spoon, dropper, etc- all of those are good options when supplementing. Some mothers express right onto the spoon and feed to baby; other mothers get baby in the right position and then hand express into their mouths to encourage them to latch. You can see a good short video on hand expression here: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html

Some mothers find that their babies have a harder time getting latched on once their second milk comes in, because their breasts are harder; more firm and full, and the baby can get frustrated, and mom is tired and getting frustrated- well, you can imagine.

ANY time a mother has a question about her baby latching or nursing,we encourage her to please do call her local LLL Leader. It's important that mothers with questions and/or difficulites with latching be *seen* in person by someone who is knowledgable- like your local LLL Leader! She can check your latch, and give you great positioning tips.

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBearlyweeks.html Here is a list of really good articles that deal with the early weeks. Most mothers find that a copy of THE WOMANLY ART OF BREASTFEEDING (most local LLL Groups have them for sale or have a copy in their lending libraries) is extremely helpful; please do call your local Leader and get to a meeting when you can. But most of all, don't give up! There is never a point of "no return"- it's never "too late" to get a baby to the breast.

Please let us know how things are going for you.

Warmly,
    Tallis

Congratulations on your new arrival!

Quote Originally Posted by deeregirl31 View Post
    When I got home the first day she nursed just like she did in the hospital, but the 2nd and 3rd day now she doesn't want to have anything to do with the breast. My milk has come in so I thought maybe I was engorged so I have tried pumping for a little bit then try to get her to latch and she won't.
    Does the area around your nipples seem to be tight and hard as if filled with fluid?

This information might help:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/engorgement.html

I would suggest trying reverse pressure softening (RPS) as outlined in the link above before attempting to latch your baby on. This will help pull fluid away from the areola and make it easier for your baby to latch on.

I rub my nipple against her lips and she will open her mouth and start to latch, but then she will open her mouth like to yawn but keep it open. Or if she does latch she will only latch on a suck 3-4 times then pull off and cry.
    Could you try RPS before attempting to latch on? Additionally, perhaps try hand expressing a little to get the flow going before attempting to latch on (Tallis provided a GREAT link!).

I have tried the c-hold to because the LC told me that I have large nipples and my baby has a small mouth. That doesn't even work.
    As Tallis mentioned, it would be very helpful if you could see someone (IBCLC, LLL Leader, ect) in person. That way, they could actually see what is happening when your baby attempts to latch on.

I am just really worried that because I am supplementing my baby is not going to want to nurse when I can finally stop supplementing. It is so hard because I know she can do it, and I feel like I am doing something wrong. Maybe I am. Is there something else that I could be doing wrong? So far I try to nurse her, feed her the pumped milk, then formula feed her. What else can I do, or what am I doing wrong? How long will we be able to go like this until she just never nurses again...
    Sorry this is so long. Any help would be great.
    Rule # 1 (ALWAYS!) is feed the baby.

How many total ounces of expressed breastmilk is your baby taking per day? How many total ounces of formula? About how often is your baby staying on the breast and taking a good feeding?

When dd was born she lost weight as well and the dr. wanted me to supplement. I completely refused and just kept dd at the breast. Persistance pays off. I agree with DJ's Mom on the nurse in. It will help a lot! Lots of 's!
    Tracy...Mommy to my two beautiful girls - Kinzie Marie, 1/19/01 and Ryan Renee, 2/1/07
    Married to Danny, an amazing husband and father - 3/22/03

Age Ticker

Breast milk is better than any udder milk!

My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding is staring too hard. ~David Allen