Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What does bad milk smell like?

Default What does bad milk smell like?

I've some milk that I put in the freezer from the 22nd of Sept - 12th of October. I want to use it if its still good. I thawed some and tasted it ... it tasted semi-sweet, though not as sweet as fresh. I sniffed it but I don't know what bad breast milk smells like.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

Default Re: What does bad milk smell like?

I can't explain it other than to say you will know it when you smell it. If you could taste it and smell it and not react then it is probably fine. Its kind of like when cow milk is bad. It has a distinctive smell that makes you react when you smell it. Hope this helps.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Breastmilk shouldn't smell like anything...so basically, once it smells at all, it's gone bad. HTH.
    DS born 06/23/07. Mommy is dairy/soy free.

You'd know if it was bad - believe me. If you don't smell anything, it's fine

Bad milk smells rancid, VERY similar to soured cow's milk.

Breastmilk that has any smell at all does NOT equal to bad milk. Just like any food or liquid, breastmilk can pick up smells and flavors from your refrigerator or freezer.

HTH!

So long as your baby will accept it, it does no harm to feed it to them. A baby knows what "bad" is.

Thanks. I have noticed two things, though, things that make my husband not want to use the milk despite our daughter eating it with no issue:

1) The fat won't completely homogenize; in other words, I end up with all these small little "balls" of fat in the milk.

2) When heated, the milk gets a yellowish layer to the top of it that's kind of bubbly.

Again, it doesn't seem to smell bad, tastes ok, and she eats it just fine... just odd things I've noticed over frozen milk I don't see with refrigerated.

I got my VBAC!

Shaking or vigorously swirling the milk can cause the balls. It's called "butter". It's okay if some of the fat doesn't re-homogenize. It doesn't mean the milk is bad at all.

The yellow layer after heating is just the fat (swirl again). The bubbles are okay, too.

HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by home executive View Post
    Shaking or vigorously swirling the milk can cause the balls. It's called "butter".
    hee hee, I was wondering about that! I didn't even think about the fact that the cream would turn into butter! What a relief!

Thing is is I don't shake it. *shrug* Either way I don't really worry about it, like I said she eats it just fine. I've just been in the process of rotating my freezer stock out and restocking it with fresh. For about the last week I was pumping about 6-8 oz. less per day than usual, and I was starting to worry... looks like I'm back up to where I was. Makes me think I'll be getting a visitor sometime this month. *sigh*

I have wondered though if you could make butter for your little one from your milk. I figured you could... (Yes, I'm weird, sorry).

Anyway, thanks a lot, ladies!

I got my VBAC!