Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: all of a sudden low supply

Default all of a sudden low supply

i have not had any pro with my until a couple of days ago i dont know if it is the stress or cause i have been spotting what can i do my lo only like bm and she really does not like the bottle if i lose my milk i have enough for her in the freezer for about 6 months so that is not a prokblem but i really likebfing her

Default Re: all of a sudden low supply

What makes you think your milk production is low? Could you tell us more about what you're experiencing?

no more oald i was pumping about 10 oz out after my lo nursed i just dont feel full anymore not i am only pumping about 3 to 6 oz

Try to eat lots oatmeal and drink lots and lots of water! Also, stay away from Sage in sausages and Itailian food. And peppermint can also cause a decrease of milk supply. That is what my sisters leader told her.

Quote Originally Posted by hollymomof3 View Post
    no more oald i was pumping about 10 oz out after my lo nursed i just dont feel full anymore not i am only pumping about 3 to 6 oz
    Hi,

Do I understand you correctly that you are exclusively breastfeeding your baby? You said she doesn't like a bottle--are you pumping to give an ocassional bottle, because you are working outside the home, or because you want to have a freezer stash?

The reason I ask is because pump output is not a good indicator of how much milk you are making. When your baby nurses directly, she gets a lot more milk than when you pump. How is her diaper output? Is she healthy and growing?

Many mothers find that their OALD/oversupply settles down as their baby grows. It is also perfectly normal to stop feeling full all the time. This is not an indicator that you are losing your milk--rather, it is your post partum hormones evening out.

It sounds like you are still making plenty of milk for your baby. Being able to pump 3-6 ounces after baby nurses is a lot of milk--being able to pump 10 oz after baby nurses is a definite sign of oversupply--having too much milk. It looks like you are now making just a little more than your baby needs, as opposed to making a lot more than she needs.

HTH. Hang in there,

Tiana

I have noticed that my supply seems to dip (I get less when I pump) just before and during my period, which is not at all like periods I had before I was pregnant. Now they are more like spotting for a few days, versus heavy flow. Sorry to be so descriptive, but you said you're spotting, perhaps that is why you noticed a dip in supply?? Don't worry, just keep nursing your baby and your supply should come back to where it was, mine did... Keep goin', mama!!!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Quote Originally Posted by buff24 View Post
    I have noticed that my supply seems to dip (I get less when I pump) just before and during my period, which is not at all like periods I had before I was pregnant. Now they are more like spotting for a few days, versus heavy flow. Sorry to be so descriptive, but you said you're spotting, perhaps that is why you noticed a dip in supply?? Don't worry, just keep nursing your baby and your supply should come back to where it was, mine did... Keep goin', mama!!!
    My supply dips during my period, too. It'll bounce right back after, though. It sounds like you're producing plenty!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous