Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Yet another Fenugreek question....

Default Yet another Fenugreek question....

Ok, I have a bottle of Fenugreek here at home, I'd like to start taking to help milk production. My husband was reading the bottle though & flipped cause it says to contact your Dr. if you are breastfeeding.....why would they want you to do that? Or is it ok just to take?
    I also understand it's 3 pills 3x a day, and only for like a week or two. Is that right? I guess once your milk flow is up, you don't really need to take them anymore....
    Thanks so much!
    Anne
    Mom to Emily Renee 3.22.06

Default Re: Yet another Fenugreek question....

You'll find that statement on pretty much every vitamin, herbs, medicine bottle, I guess it's a liability issue. 3, 3X a days sounds about right, use it for 5-7 days, you should notice the increase in 2-3 days, some moms stop after that some moms take them for a while, it works different on every mom.

Here's some info on fenugreek dosing etc.:

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html

Post Re: Yet another Fenugreek question....

Thank you SO much for your question, Anne. I'm going through the same thing. I am mom to twin 1 month old girls. They were born 6 weeks early, so too small to latch on when 1st born. When they came home, I was so busy that I couldn't nurse like I wanted to (My oldest is 8/12). So, now I have very little supply at all.. just a few drops when pumping yesterday. I'm afraid that now that they are bigger, I won't be able to supply them with anything.

Just an additional question... does anyone know if I take the Fenugreek and Mother's Milk Tea.. should that work? I don't want to not be able to nurse them. I nursed my oldest until she was 9 months. If I can't do the same for them, I will be VERY disappointed in myself. I'd GREATLY appreciate any answers that anyone could offer.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by shortii311
    Thank you SO much for your question, Anne. I'm going through the same thing. I am mom to twin 1 month old girls. They were born 6 weeks early, so too small to latch on when 1st born. When they came home, I was so busy that I couldn't nurse like I wanted to (My oldest is 8/12). So, now I have very little supply at all.. just a few drops when pumping yesterday. I'm afraid that now that they are bigger, I won't be able to supply them with anything.

Just an additional question... does anyone know if I take the Fenugreek and Mother's Milk Tea.. should that work? I don't want to not be able to nurse them. I nursed my oldest until she was 9 months. If I can't do the same for them, I will be VERY disappointed in myself. I'd GREATLY appreciate any answers that anyone could offer.

Thank you!
    It's hard to know until you try. Many moms do just fine nursing twins.

Here's info on diagnosing and fixing a low supply:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

You might also check out Karen Gromada's site for moms of multiples:

http://www.karengromada.com/

My LC said that I could take them for as long as I needed to. So if they work, and then your supply goes back down after you stop, you can continue taking them. You just will have to deal with smelling like maple syrup all the time.