Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I stop her?

Default Should I stop her?

I have a 2 week old who is a marathon nurser - she goes for about 10-20 min on one side, does her business, and then goes to the other for about the same amount of time...sometimes up to 45 min ea. In the afternoons, she tends to be a little more awake and seems to want to nurse more (after the initial two nursings). I'm fairly certain she's getting enough milk, because she's gaining weight on a regular basis. My question is - should I keep going with these 3rd and sometimes 4th "feedings" or can I "ignore" her and just rock her instead? I'm pretty sure she's using me as a human pacifier and I'm getting worn out.

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Should I stop her?

I would let her nurse as often as she asks for it for now. Nursing frequently is really helpful in establishing your milk supply. It's possible she is going through a growth spurt, in which case she really does need all the milk she can take in. I know it seems like all you are doing is nursing constantly, but it sounds like you are doing a great job!!! It definitely doesn't last forever and while they are this young their eating patterns are constantly changing. My advice is keep it up!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Yep, and rest as much as you can -- you never know what the road ahead holds. Long nursing sessions are an excellent time to practice just being quiet and still and adoring your little one who will not be little for very long.

If you don't already do it, put some snack and some water next to the places you usually nurse, maybe a magazine or parenting book or something if you like, and just let yourself rest as you nurse. This time will never be again.... That said, I know it can be wearing....hang in there....

my LO is 8 weeks and had a huge growth spurt...she nursed constantly...it was hard but it made me slow down. Have you tried nursing in a sidelying position? It allows her to nurse for as long as she wants and you can still get some sleep! I wouldn't stop her, she's obviously getting something from it, even if it's only comfort. Good luck and Congrats!

I know it may seem tough but it's prolly best for her. I would get so irritated because it seemed by the time my dd was done, it was almost time for the next. Even through the night, I would go in her room then enter mine an hour later, get an hour of sleep and do it again. It will get better and easier don't worry.

I say let her continue. I don't see any harm in it. I know it is hard to be nursing all day, but it does get better.

I think it is a good idea to nurse her on demand. Like others have said it will help your milk supply, but I also hear it's especially good this early (2 weeks) to let them suckle as needed. If you are cracking/bleeding/sore etc. Maybe offer her your nuckle or a soothie if you feel comfortable giving her one. My LO LOVES TO SUCK ON ANYTHING... so he suckled A LOT, and still does. Sometimes when I get overwhelmed I'll give him the soothie and he loves it! Good luck and congrats with your new little bundle of joy!

DS 12/13/07 nursed exclusively 15 mos!!

with DD Due April '10 - Looking forward to and DS having a new playmate!

~ Kids: they dance before they learn there is anything that isn't music. ~

I agree let her nurse as much as she wants, get cozy and trust us that you willlook back with fond memories on these days.

I know it's hard but if you expect this it makes easier.
    Allie, moma to Owen born 11/23/2006 and breast feeding ever since. .

No time for flash cards! ~fun and learning for toddlers and preschoolers.

Before I chime in with what I think you should do, I'd have to ask you a few things.

First off, are these marathon sessions something she's been doing all along? If it is, I wouldn't worry too much about a growth spurt. My LO is also a marathon nurser, mostly because he likes to "hang out" on the breast. Also how long do you plan on nursing? If she's using you as a pacifier, as you suspect, that's a habit that may be hard to break when you decide to wean her. I've finally got around to letting him use my pinkie finger (because his hanging out was bruising my areolas) to suck on if he needs soothing. If he's truly hungry, he'll push it away. That said, I still bf to soothe for major things like vaccinations, etc. for the Oxytocin it releases, soothing the baby.

As for it wearing you out, are you napping when she does and still feel this way? If so, then I'd keep an eye on myself, if I were you. You can't take care of your baby to the best of your sleep deprived abilities when you don't take some time to care for yourself.

In the end, it's your choice. You know your child and situation best. Go with your maternal instincts!
    Some say he blows out his diapers just so he can stay naked longer... and that if you take him to IKEA, he will try to chat up the brightly colored sample rooms on display in the store. All we know is, he's called THE LANCE.
    Born 12/28/07 6lbs, 12oz 20" long
    @ 20wks: 16.5 lbs, 27" long

I to my little man! (It's the only way I can get things done!)

Yes, she's been a marathoner the whole time. I use her soothie when she's at the doctor or in the carseat and she seems to take that okay - but I'm afraid of all of the stuff I hear about regarding nipple confusion, so I didn't want to start relying on a pacifier if it wasn't a good idea. I hope to nurse for as long as I can, but I also want to be able to introduce a bottle at some point so that I can work occassionally, and I'll be going to school in September, so by then it will be a must. As far as being worn out, I mean my breasts are being worn out - they are beginning to hurt a lot and I've made an appointment with a lactation consultant to make sure our positioning and latch are correct.

We've had a bad experience with our first pediatrician, and he told us that she got "all" of my milk within the first 3-5 minutes, so to unlatch her after that. However, several of the other things he told us we have found to be untrue, so we're changing docs.

Thanks for your advice and input!