Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wean from Pump but not LO?

Default Wean from Pump but not LO?

Hi all,

My LO is now almost 16 months and I am starting to think about quitting pumping. Currently my LO nurses at 6am, I pump once at work sometime between 2pm-4pm, nurse at 7pm, nurse at 9pm. When I pump at work I get about 12 ounces which she uses the next day at daycare. Sometimes (2 or 3 times a week) I will pump 2x at work and in that case I end up with about 20 ounces so I freeze away the other 8 to donate.

In the past I was pumping 2x at work every day and I had an extra 12-14 ounces a day to donate or use to make yogurt or such for my LO. She has decided that she does not like Mommy's icrcream/yogurt/cheese/etc. as much as the organic cow's stuff so I do not really want to put the time into making it anymore. The people I work with are great and are very supportive of me breastfeeding but I always feel a little guilty when I have to close my door to pump and it is really hard when we have all day meetings or conferences that I need to attend to leave to go pump.

So, I guess my questions is, if I nursed my LO at 6am could I then go until 7pm without nursing or pumping and pump at that time or will it kill my supply? Should I still be sending in breastmilk for her milk at school or shoud we start mixing in cows milk? We have tried Organic Cow's milk and she was ok with it (we tested it before I went out of town in the event that my DH used the 500oz of frozen milk in 4 days that I had for LO).

I guess I am just not sure when to wean from the pump? How do you know when? I assume she will drink milk for the rest of her life and I can not be her milk source forever. I am not saying I want to wean her but maybe the pump...

I hope you understand what I mean...
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: Wean from Pump but not LO?

What is your secret to continuing to pump so much? I am having a new isue with being able to pump enough?

Congratulations- sorry I am no help but I am impressed
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

I drink LOTS of Water! I swear, if I do not drink water I can only pump 2-3 ounces. If I drink tons of water I produce much more milk. Also, I only pump when on line (here at the M2M forum) or watching TV so I do not think about being milked If I think about trying to get enough milk for my LO it will not come out (really, I'm not kidding).

I do drink Fenugreek tea every day or so b/c I like the taste but that may help some.

I guess I am just a natural cow.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

You can certainly wean from the pump and continue to nurse. i am living proof . I pump weaned at 12 months. Do a search on here regarding pump weaning and you will find many helpful threads. Good luck!
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

you could drop on session and see how it goes.
    My dd nursed one time a day for ages at least a year and she was fine with just that one time.
    As long as baby is nursing 3-4 times in 24 hours they don't need extra cows milk.

I stopped pumping about 12.5 months and it hasn't hurt my supply when I'm with her at all. I don't get full during the day, but by the time I get home I'm comfortably full and she's ready to nurse. I produce fine all night and on weekends (don't ask me how my boobs know it's saturday, but they do ).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I never pumped, and although after 10 months, I was away from my baby for 12 hours at a time, there was still plenty for morning & night feeds (still is, 6 years and 1 more baby on)

I stopped pumping when DS was about 16 mo. I had been sending EBM with him to preschool, but he was only drinking a couple of oz so it seemed really futile to put all that effort into pumping only to toss most of it.

I was super nervous about the effect of not pumping on my supply - but I seem to have plenty of milk whenever DS wants to nurse.

Here's the Kellymom pump weaning info. Since you're currently only pumping one time perday (usually) .... it seems like you'd be best off gradually decreasing the amount of time / oz of that pumping session (and possibly also pushing it later in the day).

Right after I pump weaned - I had some days where I'd feel uncomfortably full at the end of the day. So I used my hand pump to pump just enough for comfort. And of course one time I didn't have the hand pump so hand expressed for comfort. Many moms have reported that after they pump wean Mondays can be "full days" because your supply might be reved up after nursing all weekend. My DS is now 18 mo and it seems like my body has adjusted and regulated supply well.

As for what your DD should drink during the day - its really personal choice. Since my LO is allergic to cow milk, he gets soy milk during the day. If he hadn't been allergic to cow milk, he'd likely be drinking organic whole cow milk. One note on "alternate milks" (soy & rice milks) - these do NOT have the fat levels that a todder needs. Soy milk is controversial, but has alot more protein than rice milk. If your DD is eating other dairy products (cheese, yogurt, etc) and nursing 3 or 4 times a day she's likely to be getting plenty of fat from the cow products and your breastmilk. In which case she might be ok with drinking just water during the day.

When to pump wean - I think it's a very personal decision. IMO it depends on your personal situation and mental state towards pumping, as well as your LO.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)