Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hourly feeds, little sleep, 11 weeks old

Default Hourly feeds, little sleep, 11 weeks old

Any advice for reducing the frequency of my little boys feeds? Since he was about 5 weeks old he has wanted to feed almost every hour. If we go out he will go longer (up to 3 hours) because he sleeps in the car, but at home he only naps a couple of times for 20mins tops and wants feeding really frequently. I'm not sure if it's a comfort thing or if he is really hungry? He does however sleep for 7-8hours at night before waking. My hv thinks he is feeding often so that he can last at night and said not to worry about his lack of daytime sleep, but I do feel he needs more sleep in the day as he can get very irritable in he afternoon if he has only slept for an hour in total during the day.

Default Re: Hourly feeds, little sleep, 11 weeks old

I wouldn't worry about it, with that kind of night sleep. (What I wouldn't give for nights like that ) In societies where babies are worn and breast fed on demand, the average is nursing every 13-20 minutes.

My son nursed every 1-2 hours 24 hours a day for 6 months. Now he nurses anywhere from every 20 minutes - 3 1/2 hours at 8.5 months. I figure he knows what he needs, and I'm fortunate enough to have just the thing...!

As far as sleep goes -- even well rested babies often get crabby at the end of the day. Can you identify your baby's sleepy signals? Will she sleep if you are walking with her? When I know my little guy needs more sleep, I wait for the eye rub and then I quickly put him in a pack and go for a walk and he'll usually get a least a little cat nap. Most of all -- CHERISH THAT NIGHT SLEEP!!!!!

Thanks for your reply. I know I'm lucky with the night sleeps! I can take him for a walk if he is sleepy, but it would be more useful if he would sleep at home so I can get some jobs done! The exercise would do me good though

yeah most babies average 8-12 feeds in 24 hours.
    IF your getting that long strech at night hes going to make up during the day.

Can you get help with the house? OR go into just basic mode?
    that realy helps when you let some of the little stuff go.
    Enjoy your baby.
    blink your eyes and they are one, and blink again and they are going off to school the years just fly by!

Thanks andrea, I had forgotten about how many feeds they need in 24 hours. I can justify how often he feeds in the day a bit better now. We've actually been looking into getting a cleaner for a bit, just to take the pressure off. It feels like all our free time is spent cleaning and tidying at the moment and I'm sure it shouldn't be like that.

it will get beter as he gets older too..
    plenty of time for cleaning later.. thats my moto.
    I have a few routine things I do every day and the rest has just not happened. You know wash clothes, whats for dinner, take out trash.
    My hubby is realy good about it. His idea of helping is calling my mom.

It all goes so fast. In addition to letting some things go for a bit, I also found that getting my son accustomed to being worn in a variety of packs/carriers proved helpful. Up until he started wanting to walk a couple of weeks ago, I was able to get quite a bit done (as long as I was in motion) with him in a sling or pack. Now that he's a walking kind of guy, I can still get some mileage out of putting him in a hiking type backback, which puts him up high enough to clearly see what I'm doing, but on my back so I have free use of my hands/front.

It can be hard to keep it all in perspective sometimes -- that this time with our little ones is so short, and the housework will always be there... I still find myself having to really be mindful of that at times, because it is so easy to feel pressured to "get back to normal" and get everything done.